Yankee @ The Oak 4/25 - Salmon Bonanza

Wow! That's really the only word that can describe this morning. We didn't get all the rods in the water and Salmon started hitting the deck of the Yankee.

At first, our Cannon downriggers parked at 15 & 20' were taking our bites on spoons. Once we got the sticks deployed it was mayhem. On one side we ran Bay Rat Lures LXDs on 15lb mono, and on the other side we ran 2 colors of FishUSA Stealthcore with Long Shallow sticks. Both were pulled by our Offshore inlines. We also had a couple shots on our slide diver rods with various spoons. We landed about 15 Salmon, lost a few, 3-4 Lake Trout, and a beautiful Brown Trout fishing from 7am to 11am.

Fingers crossed they open us back up soon!

IMG_1112.jpegIMG_1110.jpegIMG_20200425_105300_MP.jpegIMG_20200425_073528.jpegIMG_20200425_074348.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 15

Absolutely ridiculous!!! Lol.  Are you booked this year for charters? Think I’m gonna be in the market for some schooling after things cool down. 

Nice work some great lookin fish

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hachimo said:

Absolutely ridiculous!!! Lol.  Are you booked this year for charters? Think I’m gonna be in the market for some schooling after things cool down. 

Nice work some great lookin fish

I'm sure we could fit you in.

19 minutes ago, BigBrown said:

Wow, that’s a morning every fisherman dreams about, you guys must have had a ball. That’s what fire drills are made of, thanks for sharing your trip. Also, is it just me or do most of the fish we’re seeing posted look super healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most looked health, but if I showed you the stomach contents you'd cringe. 2 of these fish I cleaned for friends. Both has 3" Alewife in them.I don't see how they get to 30lbs eating 3" Alewife.

Thanks Rick, headed out in the am. I had a little luck in the same depth Sunday off Braddocks, will probably start there tomorrow as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

3" alewives may be good news. It might indicate latest year class survived and they may be coming back. That would be nice! 

Anyway, great trip. Sounds like it was a blast. 

Edited by Chuck Smth

Wow very nice. Why in the heck is it that I see wave forecasts for 2-4’ waves but then see pics like yours where the lake is flat??? I know the weather can change anytime but man. Frustrating. Do FF combos work this time a year for salmon, and has anyone ever caught a brown on one?

1 hour ago, Chuck Smth said:

3" alewives may be good news. It might indicate latest year class survived and they may be coming back. That would be nice! 

Anyway, great trip. Sounds like it was a blast. 

Maybe, but why is a mature Salmon resorting to 3" Alewife?

19 minutes ago, Offshore IV said:

Wow very nice. Why in the heck is it that I see wave forecasts for 2-4’ waves but then see pics like yours where the lake is flat??? I know the weather can change anytime but man. Frustrating. Do FF combos work this time a year for salmon, and has anyone ever caught a brown on one?

Yes F/F combos will work. We've won a few tourneys this time of year with them.

9 hours ago, Offshore IV said:

Do FF combos work this time a year for salmon, and has anyone ever caught a brown on one?

This year class of three year olds is funny. They are empty stomached-hungry fish. Typically I don’t put a flasher in the water til the calendar says May, but I have been catching Kings since mid-March on flashers. 

2 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

Why can't you get your boat out if you don't mind me asking?

All launches are closed on the north shore until who knows when.  Current restrictions are until May 14 however I can vision another 30 day extension.

1 hour ago, HBC said:

All launches are closed on the north shore until who knows when.  Current restrictions are until May 14 however I can vision another 30 day extension.

Ugh.... Ya, we dealt with that a few weeks ago.