To rebuild or New

jth21usa

First both my engines are fine, Chrysler 318's, however 40 years old. The questions is, if I was going to pull them would I get them rebuilt or buy new engines (about $3600 for both).  Does anyone have good or bad experiences with putting in new engines compared with taking them to a machine shop to be rebuilt. Currently $3600 seems pretty reasonable for re-manufactured engines. Or if they never break don't fix them is another option (keep in mind I want to travel with the boat so the hours per year are going up). 

Justin

They have not made the 3i8s since the late 80s ,so I don't think your going to buy a new one. ,especially 2 for 3600. Unless there short blocks which is a route I would not take. More like 3600 per engine ,longblock and rebuilt not " new " and maybe with a 2 year warranty, depending on who you buy it from. Personally I prefer having someone I know rebuild them . That way I know what was replaced ,what options I might have for any upgrades in durability and possible HP.  Buying online means you don't know for sure if oil pump , intake valves , lifter springs ,water pump ect have been replaced or they were in mfg specs and not replaced. If your in a hurry you may have to buy online since this is the busy season for most rebuild shops. I would ask and make sure the engine was put on a dyno to be broken in and checked for any oil ,water leaks before I dropped it back in the boat. Going from.a 2 to 4 barrel carb with a better tuned intake manifold may give you a extra 20-25 hours per engine . 

Thanks for the input, I don’t mean new, I think the term is re-manufactured. I really don’t want to change the hp because that will mean repropping the boat. Absolutely no hurry, the boat runs as expected.

In most cases ,not all , the engines are over propped a bit ,so adding a little hp isn't going to mean buying props , just puts it on the money. May even see a little higher cruise speed and better mpg. What's your max rated  rpms and what are you hitting at WOT ?  Time not a factor ,go local and ask the builder for recomendations on things like roller rockers vs stock and heads will have to be shaved ,so he should  / will make sure you have enough stock left for that to happen. Good luck !

11 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

In most cases ,not all , the engines are over propped a bit ,so adding a little hp isn't going to mean buying props , just puts it on the money. May even see a little higher cruise speed and better mpg. What's your max rated  rpms and what are you hitting at WOT ?  Time not a factor ,go local and ask the builder for recomendations on things like roller rockers vs stock and heads will have to be shaved ,so he should  / will make sure you have enough stock left for that to happen. Good luck !

BB;

Good to know that cylinder heads grow beards, & need to be shaved periodically, thanks?   :wink:

John  

When you make your decision, I had a good engine rebuild experience with a big shop in Virginia. 

You have to begin exploring shops starting somewhere,  so if you decide rebuilding with up to date parts I can reccomend a shop to begin your search. A good shop ? You will know it when you see it.

Settle for nothing less.