Walleye fishing around Rochester to buffalo

bettieanne

I have gone up to chamount bay with my father and more recently my son for 20 yrs. unfortunately due to this covid situation we are staying close t o home. With that said I have never fished locally for walleyes this early in the season. I live in Kendall. My son asked me dad where are we fishing Saturday for the opener. I said I don’t know as of yet. Can any one help us out with some info as to where we can possibly fish?? Do they catch walleye this early outa buffalo during daylight hours? Any help would be much appreciated. You can pm . Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Conesus isn't that far for you, but I'm sure it's tough.  Chautauqua or Otisco aren't near as far as chaumont bay, but I doubt Otisco is much easier than conesus. Oneida is a sure bet but that's starting to be a drive.  If you did wanna try Otisco I'll help you and your boy out in any way short of taking you! 

2 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

Conesus isn't that far for you, but I'm sure it's tough.  Chautauqua or Otisco aren't near as far as chaumont bay, but I doubt Otisco is much easier than conesus. Oneida is a sure bet but that's starting to be a drive.  If you did wanna try Otisco I'll help you and your boy out in any way short of taking you! 

Conesus is tough unless you have it figured out.  Night bite is where its at for May and June.  A summer daytime pattern in July August and September and then a night bite again in the fall.  

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Conesus is tough unless you have it figured out.  Night bite is where its at for May and June.  A summer daytime pattern in July August and September and then a night bite again in the fall.  

Otisco is the same way unless you know something.  Even in summer, most years, most anglers aren't going to catch daytime walleye.  That being said if you are good at trolling structure tight and/or don't mind losing some tackle mornings and evenings can out produce night in May and June.  They can definitely be jigged as well, but like gambler said you have to have it figured out...and it's never the same year to year.  You have to understand where they are feeding at night and catch them sliding out to structure and depth in the morning and sliding in in the evening.  These finger lakes walleye don't travel much until July when they move offshore so knowing the night feeding locations is critical to finding the right structure to catch in daylight.  Some of these locations are obvious, but others you wouldn't ever find if you didn't know for certain by being out there at night.  Side imaging on a big screen can be used to find walleye on big sand flats in water shallow enough that if you drive over them they spook and you can't mark a single fish.  The side imaging will let you find em from a distance and boards will keep your boat off the fish. If you spend all your time targeting these types of areas and have enough viable tools in your bag you can catch.  A typical slow 1.0 to 1.8 troll with sticks or harnesses isn't very viable.  You have to make them react whether jigging or trolling for daytime spring eyes except maybe an hour window at dusk.  From dusk on till first light you want your presentation as slow as possible whether trolling, jigging, casting sticks.  Also fish higher in the column.  There is really no need to be banging bottom and often times a floater just under the surface is all you need.  Also an electric trolling motor is almost a must as stealth is a factor.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies! Have fished lake Alice quite a bit with very limited success.. have fished conessus but only at night. Hopeing to find day bite.. most likely will be doing the river or Erie, but still a little confused🤦🏻‍♂️Justtracy- thank you for all your knowledge you posted as well as willing to help us out!! If I make it down that way one of these days I will be getting in touch.

Thinking Erie is going to be the choice.. if can’t get anything to go or to ruff can try inside break walk or something.. also multiple species to pursue there. As long as something hits the net for the kids we all will be happy. First opener for my youngest son and would love to get him a eye!🤞 thanks again for sharing info!

I'm sure the creeks are!  Probably plenty of debris out there as well which is handy for night trolling.  Blew 40-50 on Otisco for a day and half too!  I'd say in golf terms expect us open difficulty out there tonight.  If I wanted easy I'd fish for bass or trout...or oneida!  I can't wait!!!25112.gif.ceef70192ead3bf915cb0b170a9bb578.gif

Fished out of small boat harbor, had a decent walleye chop when we started but laid down through the day. Fished from south gap to smokes, managed 1 eye and a bunch of bass that kept kids busy... funny watching 3 boys try to figure out who’s turn to real or net. There were several hits to the head with the handle as they monkeyed around reeling and netting. 🤣 only 1 way to learn... Erie had trophy bass season so we kept 1 for table fare. After limited success for targeted species we decided to fish lake o on sunday and managed kings and lakers.. all in all it worked out and we had fun as well as got a few fish! FYI... boat is under construction 😂F7656266-9707-44A0-81C1-2AB2EAA69401.thumb.jpeg.5a3fd907d442a19f69be66fbb160425e.jpeg32747916-C9EC-4259-97EE-ABB8445928B8.thumb.jpeg.8ea50a7583c5346e0ad994699f51c982.jpeg66003AC8-C836-4856-BAD4-A7AE967485E0.thumb.jpeg.3fdb1f173d6fbbdb17c66fc0a2bbcbd5.jpegCE48AAD0-60B8-4BE1-A741-01F374FC58F2.thumb.jpeg.33ab0616684a96df2c60a86883696f8e.jpegB8FA7584-CF6D-4467-8316-FE6E465A9A33.thumb.jpeg.267b266b190ecd2e7b138e40b8c3e8f3.jpeg

E494CD6A-9E88-4FDF-9D18-B07561A8EFBA.jpeg

• Like 1