Summer rig setup questions

Hey guys- I’m only on my fifth season or so and I’m about to expand my arsenal. My typical crew is me and one or two other licensed individuals. So we usually run six rods, two riggers, two dipseys on 2 settings and one inline board on either side, equipped with either a mini diver or tadpole with a stinger spoon. 

I’m going to purchase my first copper setups. From my research here, I’m going to get two 300s and two 100s. Main target for 300 is salmon, steelhead for the 100s. 

From outside, in- id run the 100 on inline board, 300 on an inline board, dipsey then rigger per side. My boat is 19’ and can accomadate such a setup. 

For salmon and steelhead, what do you think? I’m pretty sold on the 300s but are the 100s what you’d run for steelhead, or would you run a different length? I understand time of year plays a role and will make the ideal length vary, but since I don’t have the money to get every length, give me the two you’d get if you were in my shoes. Thanks 

You can run 8 rods with no problem on your 19' boat. Personally I would add some lead core to the mix. I would go with the 2- 300's  or a 300 and a 350 and then 5  and 10 colors of core. Run the cores on the outside of the copper. You have to be careful  when the currents get crazy though and downsize your spread

4 minutes ago, shawn393 said:

You can run 8 rods with no problem on your 19' boat. Personally I would add some lead core to the mix. I would go with the 2- 300's  or a 300 and a 350 and then 5  and 10 colors of core. Run the cores on the outside of the copper. You have to be careful  when the currents get crazy though and downsize your spread

Yea I’ve ran 9 before for Browns on my boat so I’m sure that won’t be an issue. I can’t run a 350 on my walleye boards I don’t think so I’m limited to 300 unless I get new boards which I don’t want/need to. I’ll give some more thought to the core.  The ten gets you to what 40’? So the two color must be like 8’?

1 hour ago, Offshore IV said:

From outside, in- id run the 100 on inline board, 300 on an inline board, dipsey then rigger per side. My boat is 19’ and can accomadate such a setup. 

I’m probably wrong, but I thought when runnin a spread with junk lines like this you want your longest line on your outside board. This way if your outside line hits and you bring him to the shoot theres less of a chance of a tangle on inside boards

20 minutes ago, Hachimo said:
1 hour ago, Offshore IV said:

I’m probably wrong, but I thought when runnin a spread with junk lines like this you want your longest line on your outside board. This way if your outside line hits and you bring him to the shoot theres less of a chance of a tangle on inside boards

If it were just mono, you’d be right. Since it’s copper, the 100 will stay shallower than the 300, so if a fish hit the 100 I should be able to bring him over the 300 without issue. 

Hey guys- I’m only on my fifth season or so and I’m about to expand my arsenal. My typical crew is me and one or two other licensed individuals. So we usually run six rods, two riggers, two dipseys on 2 settings and one inline board on either side, equipped with either a mini diver or tadpole with a stinger spoon. 

I’m going to purchase my first copper setups. From my research here, I’m going to get two 300s and two 100s. Main target for 300 is salmon, steelhead for the 100s. 

For salmon and steelhead, what do you think? I’m pretty sold on the 300s but are the 100s what you’d run for steelhead, or would you run a different length? I understand time of year plays a role and will make the ideal length vary, but since I don’t have the money to get every length, give me the two you’d get if you were in my shoes. Thanks 

There’s probably a pretty good chance the salmon would spool you out of line on the 100s

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

47 minutes ago, Offshore IV said:

If it were just mono, you’d be right. Since it’s copper, the 100 will stay shallower than the 300, so if a fish hit the 100 I should be able to bring him over the 300 without issue. 

I never thought of it that way.  Definitely makes me think thou. On the handfull of calm days I throw my big boards out durrin summer with 450 on outside 350 inside and outside went off and got him to the shoot without a mess. Maybe I should switch them around.  

I just bought 2  500s, my thought was I would let out however much I want then clip it to my release. Or won't it work to clip copper on the release? I have never used copper so it's a new experience for me. I once clipped leadcore on an inline board and it kinked an broke of. I thought maybe copper wouldn't kink so easy? 

12 hours ago, Hachimo said:

I never thought of it that way.  Definitely makes me think thou. On the handfull of calm days I throw my big boards out durrin summer with 450 on outside 350 inside and outside went off and got him to the shoot without a mess. Maybe I should switch them around.  

I’ve researched this quite a bit because it made no sense to me. If you run a 450 and a 350, the first 350’ of the 450 is running deeper than the lure on your 350 which is why you run your 350 on the outside. My guess in your situation is your fish rose to the surface quickly or your lines were far enough apart. Perhaps the two lines are similar enough too. A 100 is far more shallow than the 300.

17 minutes ago, reeltrout said:

I just bought 2  500s, my thought was I would let out however much I want then clip it to my release. Or won't it work to clip copper on the release? I have never used copper so it's a new experience for me. I once clipped leadcore on an inline board and it kinked an broke of. I thought maybe copper wouldn't kink so easy? 

I’ve read it will break and clipping copper is not a good idea. Search on google “for the love of copper Ontario” and one of the members posted everything you’d ever want to know about copper.