New to trolling

Like to start off by saying hello, 

So I'm new to trolling this will be my first year really getting in to it and had a question. It will be me an a buddy on the boat most if the time a max of three people. I have two cannon optimums ts, fish Hawk 4Dx, hopefully allowing me to simplify some of the learning curve. Don't plan on running more than four rods at a time. 

But here's where my question lies would it be beneficial to run divers my first year or would it be something to hold off on? I don't wanna get over my head right off but if it's worth learning it I would definitely like to. I see mutipal mixed reviews? 

Second question what map card should I be running on my lowrance system to show the proper outlines of the lake? 

Thanks for the help tight lines. 

Edited by j_wind

Divers can seem more complicated than they really are, at least they did for me. What alternatives are you thinking to complete your 4 rod spread?  I view copper and leadcore as more difficult or of equivalent difficulty than divers depending on how you run them (in-line vs. big boards). They certainly aren’t any easier. After riggers I would say the next logical step would be divers. There is plenty of info here on how to run divers of differing styles which should “simplify the learning curve” as you desire.. Hope this helps.

My first year I didn’t want to get overwhelmed with rigger,diver,copper,leadcore,boards etc.  so I stuck with 4 rods on the riggers. After introducing divers my second year I laughed at how easy they were and kicked myself for not using them my first year. Theres days most fish come on divers and days most come on riggers. I couldn’t believe how simple they were to use and how many more fish hit the deck my second year.

2 minutes ago, j_wind said:

I ended up ordering two okuma set ups to run #45lb copper 200s. I have been watching a ton of videos hopefully it looks as easy as people show. 

IMO the coppers are a little more complicated then dipseys. Great to have but boy they can cause havoc! Lol.  I’m guessing your putting them out on boards?  

That would be correct. I'm gonna try it I know it's something that's gonna take time to learn but with practice and a few swear words I should be able to get the hang of it. 

They will catch fish and you will get the hang of runnin them. Just don’t forget about gettin diver setups sometime in the future. A couple years ago when I wanted to incorporate a new setup to my spread 9 out 10 members here said Divers. A few of them even asked “what the hell is wrong with you for not already havin them” LOL. This is a great site with very knowledgeable members who aren’t afraid to help.  
best of luck.  Tight Lines.  

Just now, Hachimo said:

They will catch fish and you will get the hang of runnin them. Just don’t forget about gettin diver setups sometime in the future. A couple years ago when I wanted to incorporate a new setup to my spread 9 out 10 members here said Divers. A few of them even asked “what the hell is wrong with you for not already havin them” LOL. This is a great site with very knowledgeable members who aren’t afraid to help.  
best of luck.  Tight Lines.  

The few people I have had the chance to talk to on here have been Incredibly helpful! 

My first two years doing this I ran two riggers and two dipsey divers and that was all. Caught a good amount of fish with that simple spread, since then I have added sliders, leadcore, weighted steel and planer boards to my spread. Get comfortable running riggers and divers, they are the backbone of every spread imo. Next easiest thing to add are free sliders to your downriggers. You don't need to have 12 rods out to catch fish, get a solid core spread you're comfortable with and focus on the basics of speed and temp and you will catch fish.

Map cards are nice but it depends on what part of the lake you're fishing. If you're over here on the East end, there isn't much to see on maps you're just looking for depth and temp which can be done with out a map card. If you're out West there is more structure there and map card could be more beneficial.

Edited by FishingFool34

Very well said. Riggers/divers r the backbone in my opinion as well. And they can be fished in bad conditions. When the lake gets a decent chop my boards and junk lines come in. My 500 and 450 coppers turned into 100 and 200 coppers after tryin to run them in a decent chop. Lol.  

On 5/1/2020 at 7:22 AM, j_wind said:

I ended up ordering two okuma set ups to run #45lb copper 200s. I have been watching a ton of videos hopefully it looks as easy as people show. 

If you run divers consider a braid setup as opposed to wire I was told to try it I did and  I find them easier than wire.  Wire has its place but is less forgiving.  I have a smart-troll setup and found the braid got deeper than I thought it would

Edited by Fat Trout

NooB walleye guy here - Questions about running divers on braid for the early season:

1.  what pound test braid can I get away with until I get my wire diver rods/reels/etc?

2.  what size divers are you guys running?

NooB walleye guy here - Questions about running divers on braid for the early season:
1.  what pound test braid can I get away with until I get my wire diver rods/reels/etc?
2.  what size divers are you guys running?
I use 50lb power pro. To the diver and a 6 foot leader to the bate

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United