track and down east rod holders/cannon rod holders

Hi,

I fish for both lake trout and musky in Lake of the Woods. I use both a down rigger and a planner board mast system plus at times in line boads.  I would like to try using dipsey divers also. Have been considering having track installed to use either salty down east rod holders or cannon rod holders. My boat is a 17 foot Lund. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

I have a Starcraft Superfisherman ( they named it after me :lol:) I have Scotty riggers behind which I have 36 inch Berts tracks I use Berts tube type rod holders for boards sometimes the riggers and the dipseys. I have Down Easters on track plates which I use for muskie fishing on the St. Lawrence for down rods and flat lines.They are occasionally used for dipseys if I need more rodholders but prefer the Berts as they keep the rod buts outside the gunnel. I love the versatility of this system only have to run what is needed and everything comes off when I put on the travel cover. My Berts mast fits in a 6 inch track at the bow and is only in place when needed but more and more I find I'm using inlines. If you cut a plastic washer from a sour cream lid  and put it between the sections of the down easters you can raise and lower your rod tips when muskie trolling with a slight bit of pressure on the rod buts.

Edited by horsehunter

If you’re looking for a good multi purpose dipsy, board, musky rod holder you may want to check out the Cisco long cradles. I run my salmon dipsies on them along with outrods for muskies, boards for browns and walleyes, etc.

I posted this pic on another thread recently but you can get rod tips into the water (not good for straight down like down easts) and also tilt them up, close the ring and just slide the rod butt into them like a tube holder.

IMG_3911.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use Berts for boards (inline and big boards) Big Jons for down rigging (mounted on my riggers) Salty Down East for my Dipsey Divers. I have my Down Easts mounted on Berts electronic bases.It gets them a little higher waste high and gets the rod buts out of the way a little more.DSC00190.thumb.JPG.daa5e62b98e3b59fda4b334ab3bf2c7a.JPG

24 minutes ago, Sean Youngblood said:

I use Berts for boards (inline and big boards) Big Jons for down rigging (mounted on my riggers) Salty Down East for my Dipsey Divers. I have my Down Easts mounted on Berts electronic bases.It gets them a little higher waste high and gets the rod buts out of the way a little more.DSC00190.thumb.JPG.daa5e62b98e3b59fda4b334ab3bf2c7a.JPG

I like it