Starweld Boats

Does anyone have or had one? Let me know your thoughts good and bad. Thinking about buying one since I don’t think I can swing the money for a fishmaster 196 as much as I would like one.

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have no personal experience, but I do recall one LOU member who posted a long, convoluted tale of his issues with customer service. Whether this was a manufacturer or dealer issue? I don't recall the exact details, but here is one of the threads: 

• Like 1

I have a Starweld boat. I have had it since 2012 and have had no issues with it all, knock on wood. Fish Erie and Ontario all spring and summer with it.

I bought it for the same reason you mentioned. I was just getting into trolling and needed all the gear as well as the boat.

PM me if you would like to discuss via phone. I’m happy to share my experience.

3 hours ago, dickey said:

Does anyone have or had one? Let me know your thoughts good and bad. Thinking about buying one since I don’t think I can swing the money for a fishmaster 196 as much as I would like one.

Thanks,

Rick

You could PM "Fat Trout" he just switched to a Fishmaster 196 from a Starweld pro 20 if I remember right.   

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

You could PM "Fat Trout" he just switched to a Fishmaster 196 from a Starweld pro 20 if I remember right.   

yeah, you were close.   I had a Starweld 18pro which I ran for 4 seasons before I went to the Fishmaster 196.  @dickey  feel free to PM me & I can add to what I mentioned below if it helps.   I had good luck with that boat.  I ran it without a kicker motor, a kicker would have made it lean for sure.  Some folks had the 20pro and had difficulty with it leaning hard while running unless tabs were added.  I didn't have that problem but needed to balance my load of stuff / people.  Also, there's another guy on here who had some problems with his new boat and they a real hard time getting it to the factory and back (from what I understand).  I imagine he'll jump on here when he sees this.  paging  @hookedupf7  It think you had the starweld problems right?

PS.  I always kind of wanted the Fishmaster but didn't think I could swing the $.  After 4 seasons with the starweld I knew I really wanted the fishmaster and went ahead and choked it down.  Glad I did

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dickey said:

Thanks,

Rick

PM Sent

Thanks for all the replies and texts. I have made the decision to get a fishmaster 196, until I find the right deal I will keep fishing my 84 Bluefin that is set up nice, just old. Thanks again everyone, this site has some amazing people on it !

I had three boats with tig weld repairs. Two of them were old Starcrafts that had cracked chines from too much weight on the gunwales. The repairs were simple and fine. The Crestliner was in an automobile accident where the dealer sent it back to the factory. It returned good as new.