Cannon optimum

I've never understood the hype on these high-end downriggers... all the functions are great marketing points but how many of them are practical? There's maybe one or two useful functions and the rest the average fisherman would never use. Auto-up all? Just what I want is a bunch of slack line floating around the back of the boat when I have a fish on cuz I raised all the riggers at once and didn't reel any lines in. Displaying Fishawk data is cool I guess but between your phone and the FH headunit how many places do you really need to see it? The different "jigging" modes or bottom tracking, sure sound nice but you still have to stand there and work the rod/reel or you're gonna pop a release or have no tension on the rod. $3k+ for 2 riggers is money I could better spend elsewhere when I could do the same thing with $500 worth of riggers.

3 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

I've never understood the hype on these high-end downriggers... all the functions are great marketing points but how many of them are practical? There's maybe one or two useful functions and the rest the average fisherman would never use. Auto-up all? Just what I want is a bunch of slack line floating around the back of the boat when I have a fish on cuz I raised all the riggers at once and didn't reel any lines in. Displaying Fishawk data is cool I guess but between your phone and the FH headunit how many places do you really need to see it? The different "jigging" modes or bottom tracking, sure sound nice but you still have to stand there and work the rod/reel or you're gonna pop a release or have no tension on the rod. $3k+ for 2 riggers is money I could better spend elsewhere when I could do the same thing with $500 worth of riggers.

Exactly, but if you get em on a screamin deal or have the means, would be something to consider

I've ran them on about 6 trips. No issues to speak of. The added data is nice if you have the Fish Hawk X4D. I love all the features personally. I've sold about 12 so far this season, so you'll start seeing more on boats.

Thanks for the info that was the response I was hoping to get .I've read a few previous reviews of the older digitroll bottom tracking and it seemed to act up for many people .Could have been improper installation, could have been a bad transducer who knows. Looks like I know where my stimulus check is going lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

34 minutes ago, fishtales said:

Thanks for the info that was the response I was hoping to get .I've read a few previous reviews of the older digitroll bottom tracking and it seemed to act up for many people .Could have been improper installation, could have been a bad transducer who knows. Looks like I know where my stimulus check is going lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Let me know. I can get them for you through Krenzer Marine.

45 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

The bottom tracking for lakers and browns is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do you use the separate cannon transducer or are you tied in with a Humminbird FF?  I've been afraid of going through the effort to install the transducer and tie it to my DT10's because of problems I've read where it goes haywire.  

Do you use the separate cannon transducer or are you tied in with a Humminbird FF?  I've been afraid of going through the effort to install the transducer and tie it to my DT10's because of problems I've read where it goes haywire.  

I have dt10’s also. Transducer is put on and the wire goes into my starboard rigger then a relay cable goes from that rigger to the port rigger. I’ve had zero problems with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1