Wow what a day!!!  My best day out for browns. My buddy and his wife joined us and had a blast. Got first rods out at 7:00am,started in 40Fow in front of the high rocks and didnt connect untill little after 8am. Started with a mix of spoons and sticks and 1 FF in the spread. By 9:00 I switched to all spoons and 1FF and it was Game on. Doubles, triples, and a steady pick from 9 till 12:30. Best water was 60-70FOW. NbK, blue Uv, sodus buckey, carbon14. Lol it didnt matter they were all colors. Finished the day 14/20. Well. Thats where I lost count. Lost 2 kings.  Still haven’t boated a king this year:headbang: and lost another brand new spoon on a dipsey on the hit. 
this morning lake was a little choppy, but layed right down around 11:00. Such a beautiful day out there today.

Nice class of fish.kept a handfull that werent gonna make it.  biggest 11lb. 

1FEE524A-D5B8-41BA-81F8-65F3323BC53C.jpeg

1ACF6AD5-CD28-4CC0-A473-92DBC359C505.jpeg

067CFC15-1A98-4B02-80C2-790E77F9D0B1.jpeg

031664C1-95C5-4721-AE53-8190F35FCF40.jpeg

Edited by Hachimo
  • Like 5

5 of the 7 browns were loaded with bait like this. This one I counted 27. The big elwife was 5.5in. Gotta b a pretty decent sign of lots of bait this year. Right???

0191BF87-F5EE-4A94-81AA-913382EB0B07.jpeg

• Like 1

27 yearling Alewife is definitely an interesting sign, Combined with the observations of that size Alewife in the water intakes all winter (thanksBG) it suggests there was a good yearclass produced last yr they made it through the winter....now as long as some make it to adults

Tighter water was slower. Almost made the run to the plant from the big but decided to play my numbers a bit more and finally got them activated in the afternoon. Spoons off riggers best today. Ended 12/14. Good amount of bait holding around the 30 foot range. One brown Coughed up a smelt, a goby, and an alewive in the boat.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 minutes ago, Offshore IV said:

Wow very nice! Dang I took the bike down to Mexico point right at 11 and there were white caps so I didn’t even consider bringing my boat but now I’m upset at myself since you said it laid down!

I had steelhead, river fishing diehards with me With little lake experience and they were getting sick with the chop. And around 11ish it seemed the switch was flipped and flat calm. 

2 minutes ago, Hachimo said:

I had steelhead, river fishing diehards with me With little lake experience and they were getting sick with the chop. And around 11ish it seemed the switch was flipped and flat calm. 

😡😡😡 so upset at myself! I have to take my gf and her 8 year old son at some point. Maybe tomorrow it’ll be flat but it doesn’t look good. 

15 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Good sign on the bait!   This is a good sign too (water level forecast).  

image.thumb.png.63665876488ae41f3a327a10d8c6f6d8.png

This is forecast from water levels prior to the Seaway Authority, does anybody believe that the water level is not controlled completely by the Seaway Authority now ?.

3 minutes ago, CopperJohn said:

This is forecast from water levels prior to the Seaway Authority, does anybody believe that the water level is not controlled completely by the Seaway Authority now ?.

Regardless of who controls what but there are 2 key differences this year.  First is they did run higher water when they could over this winter.  It helped but is absolutely because of the mayhem caused in the past few years.  The other which I seem to understand more now is that how much they will run (this time of year) directly relates to the Ottawa river flows.  The Ottawa was much more manageable this year.  This year for the Ottawa was similar to 18 where there wasn't a lake O flood.  2017 and 2019 were very similar for the Ottawa.   I'm not defending anyone, just providing some info.

image.thumb.png.f55c2d4272a0fac87257980e90152acd.png

Regardless of who controls what but there are 2 key differences this year.  First is they did run higher water when they could over this winter.  It helped but is absolutely because of the mayhem caused in the past few years.  The other which I seem to understand more now is that how much they will run (this time of year) directly relates to the Ottawa river flows.  The Ottawa was much more manageable this year.  This year for the Ottawa was similar to 18 where there wasn't a lake O flood.  2017 and 2019 were very similar for the Ottawa.   I'm not defending anyone, just providing some info.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 1:07 PM, Fat Trout said:

I am retired and never worked for the Seaway, I have been fishing Lake O for a long time and never saw the problems we have now until the treaty controlling the Seaway was changed a few  years ago. For 50 years the treaty had a limit on high and low levels.  For 50 years people built homes, marinas, docks and boat launches near the water. The first year under the new no limit rules the water level went so low boats could not get out of the marina I was in from the middle of August to the end of fishing. A school of salmon where circling off the mouth of the salmon river because the water was so low they wouldn't go across the entrance during daylight. The following year the  water got so high the docks where under water. The marina closed. Now it seems we have major flooding every other year. 

The Seaway Authority controls the water level in the lake. They have always had access to all the water levels upstream of them. They have always had access to all the water flow forecasts for the Ottawa River and all other inflows.

What has changed ? The treaty limits. Why has this caused all these problems? Follow the money.

The Seaway makes some money from power generation but most of their money comes from shipping fees, the more cargo that goes thru, the more money they make.  What effects the amount of cargo that goes thru ? Water level and water flow.

The higher the water level in the lake the deeper draft a ship can have coming out of the Seaway into the Lake, the higher the water flow out of the Seaway the deeper draft a ship can have coming in from the Ocean.  If the water flow is too high the ships can't go downstream because they can't maintain  control going into the locks with the current pushing them. If they have too much water going down the seaway and the Ottawa is high flow then they flood Montreal. If they hold back then they flood marinas and homes around the Lake. If they draw down the lake in the winter they reduce their income and reduce storm damage and possible spring flooding. If they keep lake level up they have a reserve to maintain flow in a dry year which protects their income, if we have a wet spring we have flooding. It is a very difficult balancing act. They have the information and the expertise. They don't have the incentive. They maximize their income to many more millions of dollars maybe billions than they had before the change in limits, so what if there is a few million dollars in flood damage and lost business in Montreal and around the Lake , it doesn't come out of their profits. It should.