Transducer test

landingzone

Anyone know if there is a way to test a transducer. I just bought a new Furuno FCV-585 and plan to hook it to the transducer I was using on my 582. I have a pigtail to handle the conversion in plug types. The transducer is an Airmar about 4 yrs. old and transom mounted. I would like not to buy a new one but also don't want to set everything up and then wonder about function because of the old transducer.

Dick

I know that they are compatible, at least that is what Furuno told me and I got the pigtail (with a different connector on each end) for conversion from them.

My question is how can I tell if the transducer I have is functioning properly.

Dick

Thanks guys, the marking ability was marginal with the 582. I sent it to Furuno and it needed a new main board (total cost $550+). That's when I made a deal with them for the 585. Just wondering how good the current transducer is. I give them a call and see how they suggest to test it.

Dick

The answer from Furuno was:

1) To see if it works (but not to determine if it is up to spec), see if you get a signal from the garage floor.

2) To see if the transducer is functioning up to spec, you need to hook it up to a transducer tester device which will show what strength it is reacting to 50 hz & 200 hz. They said Furuno dealers & service centers should have one of these testers.

According to their website, the nearest dealer is in St. Catharines, ON!!

Dick

The answer from Furuno was:

1) To see if it works (but not to determine if it is up to spec), see if you get a signal from the garage floor.

I've run my FF's with my boat on the trailor in the driveway many times. Worked with my Eagle, Garmin & Furuno. It seems to read about twice the distance that it is above the blacktop/concrete. Put your scale on 10' or 20' range. Works even better if the humidity is high. If someone passes something between the `ducer & floor you'll see the mark on the screen.

If your going to take the `ducer off to get it tested you might as well put a new one on. Won't be much difference in cost by the time you pay for shipping & testing. http://www.hodgesmarine.com/FURUNO-525S ... st-pwd.htm

Anyway, good luck with your new setup. A few more weeks and it's hammer time.