Anyone use a planer with a Dipsy!

Thinking out loud... last year when having multiple lines. 2 on downrigger and 2 on Dipsy divers I was having problems with tangles.

Was wondering has anyone used planer boards with dipsys to get the lines further away from the boat.

Mostly fishing for salmon and lakers. But sometimes for walleye.

Thinking about buying a set of planers but never used them before

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I’d save your money. Planers and dipsies (I only run magnums) are a no-go.

Are you sure your dipsies are set on 3? You shouldn’t be tangling with your rigger with only 1 dipsy per one side of the boat. If the dipsy is loose and won’t stay on 3, super glue it in place. Nothing more aggravating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to watch and see what happens. Definitely need a big board even if using a smaller sized dipsy. Also have to consider how hard it will be to pop the dipsy on a board.

I'd stay away from a board. Just run 3 dipsys per side. Mag on .25 inside, normal sized (00?) On 1.5 and outside 00 on 3.

I would also make sure that you are deploying your dipsy out on the correct side.  The Left should go out on the port side and the right should go out on the starboard side, otherwise they will run back towards the middle of your boat and tangle with the downrigger lines.  Just another thought as to why they are tangling. 

you are definitely doing something wrong. i run 2 riggers with 6 dipsies and never get tangled in the riggers. i only run 25' leads on my riggers. then i run my divers set on 3 in the front set on 2 in the middle set on 1 in the back. but if you put one out on the right thats set for left it will cross the lines, i have done this a few times when we had a fire drill back when i 1st started using divers.

i have now switched to the lite bite slide divers set on 1.5 in the back 3.0 in the middle then 4.5 in the front. i also use daiwa sg17lca reels on the left side of the boat. and i use daiwa sg17lc3b reels on the right side to keep from putting them out on the wrong side.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:41 PM, Private said:

Thinking out loud... last year when having multiple lines. 2 on downrigger and 2 on Dipsy divers I was having problems with tangles.

Was wondering has anyone used planer boards with dipsys to get the lines further away from the boat.

Mostly fishing for salmon and lakers. But sometimes for walleye.

Thinking about buying a set of planers but never used them before

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

I definitely suggest planer boards for leadcore, copper and flat lining sticks or spoon with a split shot etc in early season.  Not for dipsys but for sure something to have in the arsenal, there are days weighted lines off boards kill compared to dipsy or riggers.  I built my boards using cedar and plans I found on this site, if you want the plans PM me and I will find them

• 1 year later...
No, not dipseys, but run 30, 40, and 50 jets routinely on boards. Just cant get too deep with them

Good to know. Never thought of running the jets off them. I will try one, since I've never used it all

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app