Crappies are starting

Kevin J Legg

Well with the perch bite subsiding thought it was time to try the crappies. Seems like when the shad trees start blooming is when they start. Another old timer once said when the snakes start to appear and I saw a garter snake today. Not a hot bite but enough for a good meal and it will only improve. Water temperature was just above 50 degrees.îIMG_1050.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice work Kevin.....they truly are a lot of fun and sometime perplexing as well:smile: I love to see that bobber travel without it even sinking:lol:

• Like 1

Nice job Kevin. Never fished for crappies before. Caught a couple as a kid just by chance. What conditions and bait do you usually look for and use? I’m assuming shallow water and worms, but I’m just guessing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nice job Kevin. Never fished for crappies before. Caught a couple as a kid just by chance. What conditions and bait do you usually look for and use? I’m assuming shallow water and worms, but I’m just guessing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Generally the spring bite starts now and lasts a few weeks. I tend to to fish warm bays over weed tops early in 5-8 fow now. As they begin to spawn fish shallow structure ( downed trees, beaver feeds, boat docks, or rocks)
Mostly use jig with minnow, tube or 2” Berkley power-bait . I usually fish a light jig 2-5’ below a bobber, depending on water depth. Try changing your bobber depth as often they want a specific depth.
It’s important to move frequently if you’re not catching! If they are around they will generally bite. If you catch one there will likely to be more around as they school up. Also note where you catch them and look for water with similar conditions.
If you hit them on a certain spot and they quit leave the area and return to it later. Avoid boat noise as they can be spooky.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

Here’s a question for you Kevin.  You and I fish different waters but target the same fish. For some reason, I find more fish , perch and crappies., like older wooden docks and pier posts than newer metal ones.  I find this especially true in Keuka and Sodus and port bay.  What’s it like up north?