OK so trying to understand the weather report for this weekend, I am not fishing this week but still trying to understand.I do not live out at the lake, I live in NH and drive out a few times a year.

So weather is saying that there is a small craft advisory and wave heights could reach 9ft this weekend with a West Wind of 20knts from Mexico Bay to the St Lawrence.

I would of thought with a West wind the waves in Mexico would be smaller as the wind is coming from on shore into the lake? An East wind, in my mind, means the wind is coming all the way across the lake thus giving the waves time to build and make for a much bigger wave height when it reaches the eastern shore.

Am I reading it wrong? I only get to fish the big lake a couple times a year so not fully versed in the weather patterns and want to understand them better.

Thanks in advance. 

Exactly what I thought in my mind...but the stupid weather site shows the opposite?

https://marineweather.net/coastal/lake-ontario-mexico-bay-to-the-saint-lawrence-river-marine-forecast

Maybe im losing my mind....notice the arrows for each of the days.

I’m with you. I’ve always interpreted the arrows to indicate which way the wind is going, not where it’s coming from. For me the point of the arrow shows where the wind is headed, the wide end shows where it’s coming from. Like an arrow fired from a bow.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

those arrows are misleading.  Wind forecasts are based on where they are coming from.  Lake O is pretty simple.  Its length is west to east.  Anything heavy is trouble if you are on the opposite shoreline or out a few miles.  Canadians hate a heavy south wind.  US folks in Mexico like it.  the further you travel from any land mass the less it  means.  15mph from the south is fine if you are a mile off the south beach....terrible if you are in Canada.  In mexico bay a west wind "might" be workable if you are inshore inside of nine mile  point but that doesn't help a lot and if there is any north to that your disappointed.  Highly situational.  Similar for a heavy east wind if you are in Fairhaven and not too far out.   It also matters how it has been.  A 5 mph NW wind in Mexico is fine if it has been out of the south the day before.  If it  was blowing 30 out of the NW and settles to 5 mph that doesn't mean crap for a day+ until the mess settles down.

I suggest to use multiple means to review.  I'm out of mexico.  I check the Oswego weather buoy and NOAA forecast.  I also look at the Fishweather app and its forecast.  On top of that I try to use what I've learned...including that weather forecasters are wrong more than they are right.  I generally have a going far intent with a staying close backup.  When it all hits the fan I just go back or sometimes don't even go out

Edited by Fat Trout

The website or app you are looking at has the arrows backwards.  Every else I have ever looked has the arrow pointed in the direction that the wind is blowing.   Take a look at the windfinder app, it has been really accurate for wind. I would disregard the temp and wave heights displayed though.

Screenshot_20200508-060043.thumb.png.cb74955c407b4e12119209334a585537.png

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, SmellsLikeFishNH said:

OK so trying to understand the weather report for this weekend, I am not fishing this week but still trying to understand.I do not live out at the lake, I live in NH and drive out a few times a year.

So weather is saying that there is a small craft advisory and wave heights could reach 9ft this weekend with a West Wind of 20knts from Mexico Bay to the St Lawrence.

I would of thought with a West wind the waves in Mexico would be smaller as the wind is coming from on shore into the lake? An East wind, in my mind, means the wind is coming all the way across the lake thus giving the waves time to build and make for a much bigger wave height when it reaches the eastern shore.

Am I reading it wrong? I only get to fish the big lake a couple times a year so not fully versed in the weather patterns and want to understand them better.

Thanks in advance. 

You don't have it right. Think of it at the ocean. East wind kicks it up inside, west wind doesn't and goes off the land. Same out there. Mexico being on the east side of the lake would be worse with a west wind and better if the wind was from the east. Speaking of wind and waves not fishing wise.

Spike