sea star hydraulic steering for kicker.

rigging up a new boat, 20 foot Starweld with a yamaha 150 main, yamaha 9.9 kicker.

planning on installing a steering link between the 2 motors for trolling.

does the sea star hydraulic steering have the capacity to operate the 2 motors without an issue?

I see panther marine has a control unit for separate steering.

maybe I should be looking there instead. 

this steering by oil make me nervous , cars have power assist but there is a mechanical link.

I feel safer with a cable.

old guys hate new stuff.

TIA

Bob

6 minutes ago, Sled guy said:

old guys hate new stuff.

I'm a little older too :lol: but that Sea Star system is more than adequate to steer/control both motors & will work out well for you with the right link between the two.

it will work like a champ. i had a 2012 superfisherman 186 that had the seastar hydro steering on the main motor. i added a merc pro kicker and tied the two together with a panther stainless connecting rod to the front of both motors. it steered beautifully.. i could turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger.

One thing I have always wondered about hydraulic steering on the main engine and trolling with a kicker. I assume there must be some form of hydraulic pump to move the Seastar cylinder. I, maybe falsely also assume the pump is powered by the big engine. If someone is using just the kicker, how does the Seastar get it's power to steer? Maybe a stupid question.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 minutes ago, guffins fisherman said:

One thing I have always wondered about hydraulic steering on the main engine and trolling with a kicker. I assume there must be some form of hydraulic pump to move the Seastar cylinder. I, maybe falsely also assume the pump is powered by the big engine. If someone is using just the kicker, how does the Seastar get it's power to steer? Maybe a stupid question.

If you have full hydraulic steering the steering wheel is basically the pump (pump is mounted behind the helm and operated by you turning the wheel). You're thinking of power assist steering where its cable back to a pump run by the engine. No engine on, no power steering. Not the case with full hydraulic steering.

Edited by FishingFool34

I see.

If you have full hydraulic steering the steering wheel is basically the pump (pump is mounted behind the helm and operated by you turning the wheel). You're thinking of power assist steering where its cable back to a pump run by the engine. No engine on, no power steering. Not the case with full hydraulic steering.