Sushi!!!

Anyone out there a lover of sushi and eating their catch on the Great Lakes? Im looking for advice on prep of salmon after the catch to prepare salmon for sushi. Im not looking for recipes but I am looking to make sure my preparations are the best leading up to it.

Simply not true guys. You can eat freshwater fish for sushi but there is a concern for excessive pollution in freshwater. Parasites exist in both fresh and salt water. Just an FYI, ALL fish prepared for sushi should be frozen to destroy parasites. Hepatitis? Really? How about some sushi lovers chime in?

• Like 3

So, I know a little bit about sushi, having spent a year of high school in Japan. Actually, sushi is what you call it when it's on top of lightly vinegared rice, rolled in seaweed. Simple raw fish is sashimi. Raw fish cut up and cured with lime juice is ceviche, which is in a world of its own. Bahamas, baby! 

That having been said, although there are parasites in both fresh and saltwater fish, the real problem is that freshies harbor some nasty bacteria. And bacteria are not destroyed by freezing. My advice is that you avoid salmon sashimi while on the lake. If you do decide to indulge, can I have your boat?

Get a grill for the boat. It is a thing.  Try not to blow yourself up.

I am sitting here thinking about how hungry I would have to be to eat raw salmon from lake O and I skipped breakfast and I still can't picture it.

IMG_0816.JPG61066401011__361B97EC-B754-48F9-9303-7BC65A8BC692.JPG.

FRESH chicken sandwich in 2 easy steps.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL
  • Like 3

I ate it before and no side effects, that I know of. I liked it and wish it was safer. Hope this thread ends with good news.

After removing the fillets I cut some meat around the backbone.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

So, I know a little bit about sushi, having spent a year of high school in Japan. Actually, sushi is what you call it when it's on top of lightly vinegared rice, rolled in seaweed. Simple raw fish is sashimi. Raw fish cut up and cured with lime juice is ceviche, which is in a world of its own. Bahamas, baby! 

That having been said, although there are parasites in both fresh and saltwater fish, the real problem is that freshies harbor some nasty bacteria. And bacteria are not destroyed by freezing. My advice is that you avoid salmon sashimi while on the lake. If you do decide to indulge, can I have your boat?

Correct. I would definitely focus on the rice vinegar or other high acidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Surprisingly I am not a big fan of ceviche...

I'm looking at this from a nigiri prospective. I like rolls and sashimi but prefer nigiri. And Im 100% raising the question about this for raw fish consumption. My prime suspects would be Coho and 2 year old Kings. We can assume we already know the answers for smoked and cooked salmon. 

11 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Rob based on what everyone has posted here it looks like you’re good to go, no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ha!

I cant believe there isn't any sushi lovers on here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reel-E-Hooked said:

Listen to the meat eater podcast ep. 191: Sicker Than Hell. They discuss this topic with an epidemiologist, basically the human body kills the parasites in salt water fish but the parasites in fresh water fish can migrate through your intestines into other organs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Parasites can be killed by simply freezing. Minimum 5 days is recommended for a typical house freezer. 

• Like 1

My wife and I love sushi and make it almost weekly, but we don’t use raw freshwater fish because of the parasite risk . We’ve done lightly cooked salmon but I would rather the texture of raw so we stick with marine caught salmon. You have me thinking though, now that I (finally) learned how bleeding helps the flesh quality I will probably try to freeze some and make some rolls or something. I usually use myself as a test case before feeding my experiments to others.