1st Trip to Lake Ontario / Driving from Detroit

Looking for advice.  My son and I have been planning our 1st trip to Lake Ontario scheduled to leave Detroit  this Thursday morning to fish Thursday Afternoon, Friday and possibly Saturday morning.  We were intending to stay in or near Lewiston.  Our original plan was to drive through Canada (4 hour trip), however, with the border closed it will be closer to a 7 hour trip through Ohio.  Looking for advice on what ramps are the best (or even open) right now as well as any advice on where or what is working best.  I have a 22' Skeeter with downriggers, divers, Leadcore (3 & 5 color) and an assortment of spoons, flies and meat rigs.  I'm a rookie with the Salmon, have fished Steelhead out of Erie the past few years so I have the basic knowledge/experience.  I stocked up on spin doctors, pro-trolls and more salmon spoons over the winter.  Also bought a few 'spin fish' and Maglips after watching the Romanek's on youtube.  This will be my first time using flies or meatrigs.  Any other gear or lure recommendations is appreciated along with any tackle shops in the area in case we need anything.  I always seem to 'need' something on every trip.

How far out, location of bouy's or other landmarks is greatly appreciated.  I assume everyone is on channel 68?

Given the Covid situation we are packing as if we were camping bringing enough food, water, etc.. so we should only need to stop for gas and possibly a tackle shop.

Thanks in advance for your help

-Bob

248-910-1661

A Skeeter bass boat?  All launches are open in most towns.  Right now Niagara County has the most Salmon if that is what you are targeting.  Mostly spoons this time of year.  If you cannot get out on Lake Ontario, depending on the wind direction, you may be able to get out on nearby lake Erie. There is a break wall protecting Buffalo.  There are Walleyes around and a trophy bass season that allows catch and release plus a creel limit of one trophy-over 21" bass.   

I hope you have rain gear. Personally for me this time of year is tough (though I’m on the salmon river end of the lake, which is the opposite end) They could be in shallow, and they could be out deeper. They also could bite any setup- meat, flies, spoons but spoons should be your primary run, with one meat rig and one flasher fly combo. If you can run six rods, I’d run your meat on a rigger deep, your fly combo on a diver halfway down to bottom and the rest spoons. 

But it will change day to day. Watch your fish finder to locate em. If you want to target lakers, know that most electronics will not mark them since they’re so close to bottom. 

Be be safe and good luck!

Assuming he's talking about a Skeeter WX or one of the big mutli species. I fish salmon out of a Ranger 621, myself.

Watch the South Shore reports on here. That should tell you everything you need to know about what's working. Green/black/glow spoons are usually a safe bet right now, riggers and divers, and with the fish shallow those leadcores should work.

Thanks for the quick feedback.  My boat is a WX-2200 (multi-species) and yes, I am targeting Salmon.  I like Walleye but we have plenty of those on the Western Basin of Erie...I upgraded my boat this year to target the Silver fish and am excited to experience Lake Ontario Salmon fishing.  I was planning to run a 6-rod setup its what I typically ran Steelhead fishing.  

Glad to hear spoons are the primary right now as I have the most experience with them.  Are you guys running attractors (spin doctor or protroll) with them or just straight spoon on a leader?

I have run and caught them in other lakes with a flasher spoon combo but I don’t use that for Lake O. I run 30lb big game with a barrel swivel to 30lb flouro tipped with a snap directly to the spoon. Most guys prob don’t run this heavy but can’t be too careful. 

Nice ramp and fish cleaning at Fort Niagara.  We have been making a trip out of there the last 10 years or so this time of the year.  If the wind cooperates, head out of the river to the green can then turn right about 15 degrees and head NE to the red can about 5 miles out where the depth drops off from 50/60 to a 100 and deeper and try along this drop off or with a couple of miles on the deep side.  Have had some spectacular fishing there is years past East of the red can on the deep side.  Like any fishing, very weather dependent and we have had a very cold spring with a lot of N winds this year.  Last year during our trip there were no fish out there, but the previous 3 or 4 years we really hammered them.  

Its a great boat...I am dealing with a few small issues right now.  Biggest issue was a few plumbing leaks with the livewells.  Boat fishes great, handles the waves very good.  If your looking definitely get the trim tabs they make a big difference. 

Assuming NY has 14 day quarantine restriction in place.  Lifted when?  If correct is anyone enforcing?  Planning trip to Olcott Memorial weekend and wondering what possible C-19 issues may face.  Out-of-state licenses can be purchased?  Assuming masks must be worn at ramp?  6ft spacing on private boat? 

Thank you for replies...….

Thanks to all for the help and advice.  We fished from 4-8pm tonight and had a great time.  Boated 13 fish out of 18 hook-ups.  >100 FOW out of Wilson with Dipsey and 3 / 5 color lead core.  Green & White Spoons  & NBK.  Also had flasher-flies on the leadcore.  Going back out in the morning for a few hours then back to Detroit.

Here’s a pick of my son with one of the bigger one’s tonight

C7577F40-B767-4B8B-ADCC-F703767E8CB4.jpeg

• Like 1