Any report on Jefferson County walleyes

Kevin J Legg

I’m generally hitting the browns and walleyes this time of year but have stayed close to home and hunted turkeys and fished perch and crappies.

I haven’t heard much on fishing out of Stony Creek, Henderson, Sackets ( Black River Bay), or Chaumont. Does anyone have anything to report. With the cold and wind it’s likely few have been fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have only been out opening day.  Worked both shores of BRB.  Pillar side was a parking lot. Sacketts side from Mill Creek to buoys produced a lot of bites but had trouble keeping them buttoned up so can't say what they in fact were.   Managed two.  A friend went out next day, same spot and never tipped a rod.  I think in general it was spotty in the bays.  A few here and there.  The guys that always, get 'em, got a few.  Others really struggled.  VERY cold water except for mouth of BR.

• Like 1

Kevin,

I’ve been out of Henderson once, and Stony three times.

The Henderson trip I picked up three browns in the trench just south of the cut.

The Stony trips have been slow. I haven’t been able to find any warm or colored water.

The wind forecast for Thursday is under 10 from the south. If that holds true, I may trailer to Mexico for a change of scenery.

I’ve never tried BRB, but it’s going on the list for the days with a north wind.

Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Kevin,

I’ve been out of Henderson once, and Stony three times.

The Henderson trip I picked up three browns in the trench just south of the cut.

The Stony trips have been slow. I haven’t been able to find any warm or colored water.

The wind forecast for Thursday is under 10 from the south. If that holds true, I may trailer to Mexico for a change of scenery.

I’ve never tried BRB, but it’s going on the list for the days with a north wind.

Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I’ve had some good days on BRB and Chaumont trolling stick baits, deep divers, or spoons. Usually run boards with lead cores or mono with split shot and also riggers. In BRB I fished 20-50 fow and down 5- 30 feet. Chaumont I run shallower as water tends to run 15-30 feet deep. Generally big walleyes and some big pike, and even some pickerel. Never caught any browns there though.

Out of Stony I’ve caught browns, lakers, walleyes and pike.

I haven’t been able to get out much with the winds but fished Sackets side of black river. Managed a pike and a few eyes. Water was stained all fire tiger. Also started 15-20 fow nothing ran to 38 fow found bait. 30 foot down.  Winds picked up bad and everything **** off screens went blank that was last Friday 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We fished Black River Bay this morning. About a dozen boats working 25-55 fow. Never saw a walleye caught but we caught 3 pike and had another good rip off the board. No hits on riggers everything off the boards. Lead cores were best today. Kept a couple for chowder.

Adjustments.thumb.JPG.282bea32a4ac31b4da0ae2deb6cf08d8.JPG

• Like 1

Nice job, I love pike, so good to eat too. Those eyes will start to show in your zone soon. Until then, you know where you can go to get them, but the water is warming and the bait gorging will soon begin making it harder to get them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Early last week Monday thru wednesday was on fire 1 and 2 man limits no problem last couple hours at sunset from clayton to chippewa for me and buddies , then just like a switch bite went cold for me out deep jigging last Thursday and yesterday , did more searching checking spots than fishing last night 

Early last week Monday thru wednesday was on fire 1 and 2 man limits no problem last couple hours at sunset from clayton to chippewa for me and buddies , then just like a switch bite went cold for me out deep jigging last Thursday and yesterday , did more searching checking spots than fishing last night 

I may try double rigging heavy drop shots with controlled drift. Will try paddle tails, tubes, twisters, and curly tails. I use to fish bass that way in 60-100 fow with mr twisters and they were nearly as good as live bait. Caught many doubles and didn’t need to rebait often.