Chautauqua Musky Opener is May 30th

It’s the same thing every year since they changed the opener from 3rd Saturday in June to the last Saturday in May...people fish the lake for muskies 1 week early. The season DOES NOT open 5/23 or Memorial Day weekend this year. It opens 5/30. I wish they would put an officer on the water to issue citations to the people that fish for muskies a week early. With lower water temps this spring, there likely will still be some spawning occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I put a call into a DEC conservation officer just now and made them aware there are people targeting muskies on Chautauqua lake one week early since they changed the date. She was going to send an email to all the officers in the county to make them aware. I hope they have an officer on the lake the weekend of May 23rd to issues citations. I hope people see this an obey the seasons/laws.

• Thanks 1

Pretty easy to tell a muskie boat/fisherman. Rod holders, speed, baits, leaders...

I guarantee i could pick them out.

I really dont think people are doing it intentionally. I think some people are confused by what was the 3rd Saturday but now the last Saturday for the opener.

Its been happening every year since they changed the season. Im sure of it. Over the last couple weeks, I personally have had multiple people ask me of im fishing muskies on Chq May 23rd. Guys that have any issue with this are exactly the type of guys that create the problem. I have been fishing for muskies since March 14th where legal. (PA, OH, WV) I have not been in the house too long.

Do either of you even muskie fish? Do you guys poach deer out of season? Same thing.

Ok. Not even if you knew the same people were poaching deer for the last 5 years?

The law is there for a reason. To protect possible spawning muskies and the fishery. There is natural reproduction of muskies in the lake. Everybody needs to wait. 95 percent of muskie anglers are very conservation minded and dont have a problem with this. If they do they either are not muskie fisherman (like yourself) or not the type of people the sport needs/wants. Like i said a couple times already, its about educating people who are mis informed about when the season actually starts. I really dont think most guys are doing it intentionally. Whats the point of having the law if it’s not enforced?

It's not about the three weeks about the Rarity of the species time commitment that people put in to help the species and then for you to put your two cents in it's not helping some people learn how to fish going out every single day from when they were born and some people learn how to fish and catch some fish from looking at pictures on the internet I travel 6 hours for muskies I respect the species and the fisherman

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I found an old LOU thread from 2016 when we were talking about guys fishing Chq early for muskies. My hope is that somebody is around to enforce it this year. That’s all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday while on the way back from Albany crossing the I-86 bridge, I saw a boat pulling planer boards and thought how nice it would be to be fishing vs. still trucking and thought maybe I was messed up on the dates of the muskie opener. I got back home and checked the date and didn't miss it.   But have an option to run a load to Richmond on Saturday and took it

I spend a fair amount of time on Chautauqua and to me a couple issues.  Guys do target musky before season- Saturday 5/23 I saw a boat running down rods and trolling at high end of walleye speed.  I’m likely to see more this week.  Other issue IMO is DEC coverage on the lake is “spotty” at best.  Traffic this year has been high and more boats means likelihood of more funny business.  Not all of it is intentional with lots of out of state people where regulations might be different.

The DEC doesn’t have the resources to adequately enforce anything. But if you report something they will look into it. I called about a guy shooting geese with a rifle on the canal in June. Two days later they went to his house and talked to him about it. Wasn’t caught or fined but I bet he quit doing it. And the officer called me after the visit and told me how it went. That’s about the best we can do. There will always be jerks who don’t care about seasons or minimum lengths or creel limits. Probably the same people that bought all the toilet paper in March. Good luck to all Saturday. I gotta work. I’ll be out during the week.

Anyone know if there's a night bite on Chautauqua? My guess would be more likely in the north end? Trying to get my father on some muskies (bucket list fish for him). No experience on that lake but should be easy enough, it just seems like boat traffic is going to be enormous this year. It might not make a difference for the fishing but I'm limited to weekends, and Id prefer a more peaceful outing if it's worth it

I don’t know anyone that fishes it at night for muskies. I’m sure you could catch some, especially when the water warms up more. Floating weeds will be more of a problem at night.