1968 pre alpha help needed.

skinny420

I've got a 68 StarCraft with a 2.5 litre and the original stern drive. My problem is the trim won't go down all the way. It goes up and will lift me if I stand on it. It powers down about half way and seems to bind on something. If I disconects the Rams the outdrive goes up and down freely so it's not actually binding up just sounds like it's bottomed out. I'm in the buffalo Lockport area but if anybody knows a good mechanic that would look at it I will drive wherever. Could be the reverse lockout somehow maybe? I can't figure it out tho. Anybody know a mechanic who knows anything about these units? 

If fluid is up to the vent cap I would check solenoids.  I believe there are two, one for up and one for down . Might even try swapping them to verify.. Cheap enough to replace , car parts store will have them ,not marine specific. If the unit is somehow bad I think I have one ,let me know. ( have a lot of spare parts from over the years out in garage )

Edited by Bozeman Bob

The solinoids are good. It is full of fluid and does go up and down. Just stops half way down. There is no trim switches on the bell housing like newer ones. I think there is a reverse lockout somewhere and a check valve in the pump. I'm done messing with it. I've already lost enough of this season and just need to get it to a marine mechanic. The boat isn't at my house so I need to drive 20 min. just to mess with it. Most mechanics don't have a clue about these old dinosaurs and have no interest in trying to learn.