Small boat Derby

I have been thinking about this for some time now . I fish alone a lot and I see a lot of guys do also and it grinds my gears to no end that I can't fish alone in the LOC Derbys . I asked the head of it  and he said no way would he ever go for that.  

How many of  you guys would be interested in a small boat ,say 19 Ft max one man one day Derby  ? 

Could be fun . 

Respectfully, There are plenty of derbys / tourneys you can get in with 2  or more guys . 

This is for those of us that like to fish alone, have smaller boats , etc . 

And as a guy who goes out a lot , I see a lot of guys like me . 

Spread the word  . Maybe we could have an impromptu thing sometime after labor day when the stagers are in . To see how it goes . 

So if it’s a solo derby why would it matter how big the boat is? Larger boat is a disadvantage fishing solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

18 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

So if it’s a solo derby why would it matter how big the boat is? Larger boat is a disadvantage fishing solo.

I thought about this , and owning both a bigger and smaller boat I can speak on this . 

If the lake is calm , it's more  even , if not the bigger boat has a  distinct advantage . Especially if the boat has auto pilot. Then , it's not even close . 

My thought is to have something for the small boat guys to keep the playing field level . 

I see some Derby/  tournaments where small boat weekend guys compete against 30 ft+, charter guys . Trying to avoid that .

Well if we put the 15 in the water I might still be interested. No riggers and no autopilot. Two sliding dipsys. IMG_2875.thumb.JPG.e909a8d00b6d3bdecb25dd8cfa6f1d52.JPG

• Like 1

IMHO no one should be out there fishing alone unless your tethered to a kill switch ,even.then its questionable at best . I sure wouldn't want to be legaly responsible for running any kind of tourney with a 1 person limit. To many things can.go wrong , should be same rule as diving alone. 

16 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

IMHO no one should be out there fishing alone unless your tethered to a kill switch ,even.then its questionable at best . I sure wouldn't want to be legaly responsible for running any kind of tourney with a 1 person limit. To many things can.go wrong , should be same rule as diving alone. 

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Those of us who do fish solo do so with proper planning and precautions (at least I do) but thanks for jumping on here to imply I (we) don't.  Fair point on the tourney however I would say HB2 is talking about something that is a far cry from formally organized.    

HB2.....I might actually be interested in something like this even though you guys to the west have it easy!  lol.  

Ok , how many that have replied or read this post that fish solo use a kill switch tether ?  How many have a two way radio and cell in a dry bag that they wear , how many wear a life preserver ? How many file a float plan with another person ? How about  having a medical emergency and  getting to land by themselves. I have seen.guys out there solo in a fog and no radar , talk about playing with the Grim Reaper. Share a Seat on here is a great idea for the person that may have second thoughts about rolling the dice. Again my opinion and good luck to all that partake in this . 

Thanks dad. You be sure to let me know when its ok to sit at the adult table k? Oh thats right, I've fished this lake for 35 years, respect it like no other and learned a long time ago not to believe everything i hear. If you can resurrect my father from the grave so i can fish with him again and abide by your rules that would be great. Until then mind your own business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I am not encouraging anyone to fish alone . But there are a lot got like myself who do , by choice . What about Bass tournaments? 

And I have thought about the liability and safety issues.  

First , everyone must were a PFD . I never do and talk to my wife yesterday and said it might be time to get one-of those self inflating ones,. 

Also , there is an area you can fish , maybe 1 mile each way from port out to 150ft  . If its rough, it's,off ,if it gets rough  , it's off . 

Also maybe we have a guy in a big boat out there to keep an eye on things . And we look out for each other . 

I think this could happen . 

Cost sharing is easier with two or three guys sharing the entry fee. Cell phones in an an side pocket to keep the lithium battery warm. Cold air kills the battery so a  marine radio is a good idea. A cigarette lighter hooked to your battery can keep the cell phone charged. Team fishing contests create a lot of interest that is fair also.

Edited by jimski2

7 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Thanks dad. You be sure to let me know when its ok to sit at the adult table k? Oh thats right, I've fished this lake for 35 years, respect it like no other and learned a long time ago not to believe everything i hear. If you can resurrect my father from the grave so i can fish with him again and abide by your rules that would be great. Until then mind your own business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No problem ,your welcome . If I can have one person rethink the way they fish when going solo or better yet finding someone to go out with ,then my OPINION got through. Glad you have made it 35 years by yourself , I have you beat by 25 years fishing on the lake , doesn't mean a thing if your out there and thing go south in a hurry. . What's. your late Dad have to do with anything ? Again for those of you that have a hard time comprehending , this is just my opinion ,that's it . Done with this thread .

• Like 1

I’m in agreement on the 2 person min. It’s not about making anyone feel like there not good enough or experienced enough. We all have stories of the bad examples. We’re talking Lake Ontario I’m assuming. Might be a little different on the finger lakes, not that bad things can’t happen but your zone of safety is completely different than lake o. As far as other tournys like Bass typically Ive only participated in them where riders or non boaters were mandatory. PDFs were mandatory while running. And yes I wear my ignition kill switch when fishing alone when running. I think you have a good idea. Hope something comes from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I first bought my big boat, in 86 , everyone wanted to go . My friends were young and had no commitments . 

My kids got to be 7 years old and they had sports , scouts ,etc and I watched the grass grow around my boat .so I put it in the barn  for 6 years . I got a deal on my small boat so I did the bass thing 

My buddy who lived in Conn.,  may he RIP , begged me to get it back out because he lived to catch Salmon . We talked about maybe getting in some of the tournaments . We planned on fishing 4 days of the spring LOC . I got the boat out spent countless hrs getting it and equipment ready  paid my Derby fee, clear my schedule. I'm all set . Calls me the day before and said he can't come because of his , 1 year old grandsons birthday party, and he can't miss that  . Says maybe I can find someone else to go . He will come next weekend . I go to work planning on that . Next week come and forecast is for 6 ftrs. He calls and I tell him to stay home . 

Can't tell you how many other times guys have Japped on me . 

I own a cottage and it's hard to,get my Freinds to go and for all our schedules to line up . I told them I'm not asking anymore , call me anytime you want to go . You have a standing invitation And occasionally they do . 

So I go out by myself ,on the lake and I know I'm taking a,chance , fly fishing the tribs alone in ice water , ADKs on  lake 3 miles from civilization .I have grown to like it . Don't get me wrong I like going out with others and still do .  

I have come to the realization a long time ago  that if something happens and I die , I'm doing something I have to do . It means that much to me ,and, my wife knows,this . 

And I figure there are others who feel the same as I see a lot of guys on the lake and in the creek fishing alone .

And if there were 2 guys,required , why would I have made this post ? 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 4

Ok , how many that have replied or read this post that fish solo use a kill switch tether ?  How many have a two way radio and cell in a dry bag that they wear , how many wear a life preserver ? How many file a float plan with another person ? How about  having a medical emergency and  getting to land by themselves. I have seen.guys out there solo in a fog and no radar , talk about playing with the Grim Reaper. Share a Seat on here is a great idea for the person that may have second thoughts about rolling the dice. Again my opinion and good luck to all that partake in this . 

None of the above, either in the boat or in my tree stands. How do you run rods with a kill switch tether? At least my boats can’t sink and according to Apple my phone is water resistant.

Risk versus reward is an individual decision.

12 minutes ago, Low Baller said:

Sounds like every Sept for me . lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Must be reading my mind . 

If there are enough interested , even if it's 5 or 6 , we do it . 2nd Sat or Sun in Sept out of Sandy and see how it goes . 

Kings only , best 2 . 

Then we have weigh in and discuss how to go forward . 

It is common sense to fish the ports that are best at the best times . 

Maybe a spring Brown Derby at a good brown port . You get the idea . 

Make it a,club style tourney . 

RSVP, Show up at the launch , pay your entry and fish . If you don't feel comfy going , don't go .If the forecast is bad , we postpone . 

Must be reading my mind . 

If there are enough interested , even if it's 5 or 6 , we do it . 2nd Sat or Sun in Sept out of Sandy and see how it goes . 
Kings only , best 2 . 
Then we have weigh in and discuss how to go forward . 
It is common sense to fish the ports that are best at the best times . 

Maybe a spring Brown Derby at a good brown port . You get the idea . 

Make it a,club style tourney . 

RSVP, Show up at the launch , pay your entry and fish . If you don't feel comfy going , don't go .If the forecast is bad , we postpone . 

I hit Mexico every labor day. Never launched out of Sandy. Sounds like a fun time, but I'd recommend vessel safety checks, mandatory pfds, all the common sense stuff. You know how it gets on here with small crafts. Putting 2 on the boat would probably be in the best interest. Save alot of grief and make for a more enjoyable experience. Believe me, I know how to solo on a 16 tiller with 2 rigger hand cranks and 1 dipsey. It's nuts, especially netting the fish. Lost a ton of gear last year doing it. Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app