Good use of your harvest

After cleaning a turkey and removing the beast and thigh meat I boiled up all the bones from the carcass, neck, heart, gizzard and drum sticks. After picking the meat off the bones I had enough to make a turkey soup, turkey salad, and this turkey and biscuits. Likely 5 or 6 meals from things many hunters throw away. I still have the breasts and will use thigh meat to make sausage!

.Adjustments.thumb.JPG.fc5d0c53f6269cd4bd840af1f2af16b3.JPGAdjustments.thumb.JPG.d7f52699870d233aefaec397aec620f3.JPGAdjustments.thumb.JPG.d4f80f90b573fa06574029d41fa71a08.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

That looks tasty!

I have been using the Instapot for the legs/thighs and I fry up the giblets with some butter and seasoning.

I think the legs and thighs are the best part of the bird.

I think both goose and turkey thighs are very good. More fat= less dry and good flavor. Duck legs are also very good. I think most people have never tried them, cooked them wrong, or are to lazy to clean them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, sandwick50 said:

Same thing for goose legs.  Don’t throw them away, great eating.

Its the best meat on the goose!  Crock Pot with sweet Baby Rays BBQ.  Its like BBQ beef!  Yum!

• Like 1

Today’s bird was 19.5 lbs. I did like you described and took the wings, back meat, and neck. Along with the giblets it is well over 10 lbs. of meat, that includes the leg, thighs and wing bones.

Thanks for posting this.

I believe you get roughly 1/3 more meat and cooked right it’s very good!