Downriggers,dipsys and flasher flies

Fishing solo on my 16' I haven't been running 2 rods yet this year, just the one off the downrigger with decent success (all lakers so far)

I own 2 wire rods that I ran dipsies with last year as well.

Solo fishing - run a flasher / fly off the rigger, and a spoon off the dipsy? I read on here that it's preferred to run the flasher off the dipsy but when solo netting, the extra length of the flasher / fly and the dipsy leader makes it a pain to net I would assume.

I would think it would be easier to net a flasher fly solo off the rigger since you don't have to content with the extra length of the dipsy leader.

Would work fine right?

If you plan on fishing solo often I would look into slide divers instead of dipsey divers. The slide diver will slide right down to the flasher and make things much easier to net when you don't have to deal with the added leader length off the dipsey. 

• Like 2

When I fished solo it was very rewarding , on my Islander I would run 1 down rigger and 2 wires, everybody fishes solo different but this worked for me I did awesome and loved the challenge of boating some big kings, always had the net ready and not to far from the helm 

Last year this time of year solo  to 2nd week in June pretty much all I ran was 2 flasher rigs off my riggers . Got a bunch of kings as I could do no wrong . 

Been using spoons lately and I throw a slide diver / spoon  out if it's slow . 

I fish solo alot mostly before work, so short morning trips. If you run a diver with a flasher fly off divers the truck is to just shorten your leads. If you have a 10 foot diver rod make you lead off the back of the diver only 5 to 6 feet. I have learned alot of days fish like those shorter leads any way and I end up running them that way even when I have others on the boat. I love watching guys with 10 plus feet of leader hand over hand, scramble and miss net fish when there is 4 guys on the boat. Also I have learned alot of tricks to help ..I have extra rod holders for my rigger rods so when I hook a fish on my diver I move the rigger rods to them. It puts the rod out further and more forward, making a larger area in the back to net fish. Also It leaves my rigger rod holders open so I can stick my net in there when the fish gets close. That way it is right there so when the perfect time comes you can just grab it stick it under the fish and drop the rod tip quick so they swim right in and then that rod holders is wide open to toss the rod in so you can use both hands to lift the fish in the boat.. sometimes even when some one is with me and I am fighting the fish I net it myself. I have been salmon fishing solo on lake Ontario for over 30 years, in that amount of time you learn some tricks to make it easier. But every once Inna while I still have one crazy fish cause me some troubles. These early season kings can be a pain. They play opossum come right to the boat then go crazy. I had one this spring do that , came right in then took off but went forward , between my cable and the boat then before I could pass the rod though he was cutting across the bow and I had to run to the front of the boat pass the rod around the planner mast. Then get back to turn the boat quick to get him back behind it.. and some how I still landed him..

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1