Lead core question

I dedicate 4 rods for short cores... Two 3 colors and two 5 colors.
In recent years I've been running stick baits on them... You can switch from regular stick baits to deep divers to achieve greater depths.
If it's a spoon bite... You can throw a dive bomb on the leader of one of the cores to get the rig down further.
I have two ten color rods also...
Copper and Weighted steel have been very popular in recent years. I run many different lengths of copper from time to time, however I have a lot of confidence in lead cores...
One hint is to let out your lead until the knot from the lead/ Backer termination hits the water... Then let out a couple passes on the reel.... My theory is the with a little backer in the water, the lead core will sway more...especially in sportier conditions...

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Missdemeanor said:

I dedicate 4 rods for short cores... Two 3 colors and two 5 colors.
In recent years I've been running stick baits on them... You can switch from regular stick baits to deep divers to achieve greater depths.
If it's a spoon bite... You can throw a dive bomb on the leader of one of the cores to get the rig down further.
I have two ten color rods also...
Copper and Weighted steel have been very popular in recent years. I run many different lengths of copper from time to time, however I have a lot of confidence in lead cores...
One hint is to let out your lead until the knot from the lead/ Backer termination hits the water... Then let out a couple passes on the reel.... My theory is the with a little backer in the water, the lead core will sway more...especially in sportier conditions...

Do you put your lead core rods on boards too?

Thanks again

Absolutely.... Short cores I use 20# mono for backing...
My set ups for short cores are pretty simple...
Starboard side...both 3 colors.... Port both 5 colors..
Run the lead till knot gets in the water..let it out a pass or two on the reel...
For releases I use Amish Clippers releases...
10 color cores I use power pro backer. I think power pro slips a little out of Clippers, so I let the 10 out similar to short cores ( knot in water + 2 passes) but I will use a rubber band or two... Half hitch them around the power pro and snap them into the release....
You can also use Scotty pinch pads as well. I use them for my copper set ups.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Missdemeanor said:

Absolutely.... Short cores I use 20# mono for backing...
My set ups for short cores are pretty simple...
Starboard side...both 3 colors.... Port both 5 colors..
Run the lead till knot gets in the water..let it out a pass or two on the reel...
For releases I use Amish Clippers releases...
10 color cores I use power pro backer. I think power pro slips a little out of Clippers, so I let the 10 out similar to short cores ( knot in water + 2 passes) but I will use a rubber band or two... Half hitch them around the power pro and snap them into the release....
You can also use Scotty pinch pads as well. I use them for my copper set ups.

Thank you so much. I appreciate the help. Tight lines!!

45 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

I have success clipping the lead core to my side planers. You have the option of how many colors you let out of the board. The lead core line to the board works out OK.

Are you saying you have a 10 core and just let out the desired number that day. Lets say 5 clip it into the board and just use the reminder as your backing?

I'm surprised the core clips I to the board and you have no issues with this.

Figured you would need to add mono between the cores to clip.

If this works it would allow a couple rods rods to stay home.

I keep thinking clipping at core to the boards will create issues with the lead breaking.

I never clip lead core into the release... I let it all out..

The release will eventually damage the lead , break it and weaken the whole set up.. The only way you might be ok is a pinch pad or rubber band. I'm way to OCD also... I have line counters on every reel and know exactly how far past the knot I let it out... Details matter in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have done it for years using weakened rubber bands (out in the sun awhile) or the small hair rubber bands (even from outriggers)

I never clip lead core into the release... I let it all out..
The release will eventually damage the lead , break it and weaken the whole set up.. The only way you might be ok is a pinch pad or rubber band. I'm way to OCD also... I have line counters on every reel and know exactly how far past the knot I let it out... Details matter in my opinion.

I do the same only I run 2 and 4 color with snap weights and line counter reels to gain depth. Use fish hawk td to confirm depths. It helps keep rod count in boat down

Like I said...im OCD... If the lead breaks and pokes through the sheath, I feel the rig is comprimised. I've had the lead core break off on a big king before... It wasn't the #15 leader... So at some point the core was damaged...
I change out my cores every 3 years... Mono sooner... Yup I'm a worrier when it comes to tackle. If my gear fails and a customer played the fish right...its on me..
If they loose the fish because they played it like a jamoke, it's on them...lol

• Haha 1

I half hitch lead with a band all the time, haven't had an issue yet. Just started using the clipper releases, whats the trick to getting the bands to come out easy? Good luck to all!