Owasco 5/16

Please don't empty out my little lake. Catch and release. Specially the browns. They were very scarce a few years ago and only now have they made a comeback. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, rolmops said:

Please don't empty out my little lake. Catch and release. Specially the browns. They were very scarce a few years ago and only now have they made a comeback. Thank you.

Your lake? I caught and released it into my smoker. 

• Like 11

DEC stocks about 2600 browns a year,
I truly hope your aren't serious. There are plenty in there, they are difficult to catch which makes it seem like there aren't a lot.
We can eat our naturally stocked resources.
"Catch n release into the grease!"

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

DEC stocks about 2600 browns a year,
I truly hope your aren't serious. There are plenty in there, they are difficult to catch which makes it seem like there aren't a lot.
We can eat our naturally stocked resources.
"Catch n release into the grease!"

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Actually, Owasco lake is the only lake that my entire family will eat from. Because it is quite clean. I call it my little lake because we have a family home there. But I am quite protective of this beautiful place and it scares me a bit when people sing it’s praises on a widely read board.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Maybe you should stock your lake with your money!

Did you ever wonder why there are walleye in Owasco lake?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 5:48 AM, rolmops said:

Hey rolmops, on May 2 Fbag12 posted his catch out of Owasco of browns, rainbows, perch and walleyes on this "widely read board", and you replied by calling it "lake Wegmans". I don't understand. Why would you ask me to practice catch and release, wanting to keep your little lake to yourself, and not say a word to him?

Hey rolmops, on May 2 Fbag12 posted his catch out of Owasco of browns, rainbows, perch and walleyes on this "widely read board", and you replied by calling it "lake Wegmans". I don't understand. Why would you ask me to practice catch and release, wanting to keep your little lake to yourself, and not say a word to him?

I call it Lake Wegmans because I know it very well and not unlike the grocery it has easily available and varied fish. The reason why I didn’t ask him to catch and release is because I didn’t expect that little lake to become popular that fast. There always were just a few fishing boats , but now that may be changing fast.

Besides I never said that I want to keep it all to myself.

Owasco has been popular for a long time. There has been more than a few fishing boats on it for as long as I have been fishing it, and that's more than 40 years. The walleye stocking Chet did on it in the early 2000's made it the go to lake in CNY, second only to Oneida, and that brought fisherman from all over. The launch at Emerson has been busy for years between ice out and when the crowds begin to use the lake when the water warms up.

Regarding Owasco being clean,  you should look at the DEC fishing guide and you'll see Owasco has high concentration of mercury and 

it has advisories to limit the amount of fish eaten for certain species.  I've been told by a DEC official the mercury came from the fallout of

the coal burning plants in the west.