Opinions wanted on a baha cruiser 28 weekender

Hachimo

So I’m in the market for a new boat     My 1986 trophy 2460 has been great to me but lookin to jump To the next size up. After gettin familiar with the lake and seein all the boats the baha 28 weekender really sparks my attention. I’m lookin for a twin screw and want to purchase in the fall to try and get the best deal I can. If anyone knows anyone sellin or knows of one sittin in a marina let me know. I look at Craigslist and boat trader every week.  

also any feedback on how they fish, control, or any issues would b appreciated.  

thanks.  
mike

I owned and operated a 1989 Baha Cruisers 280 Sport Fisherman (same boat as the weekender except less cabin & more deck).  Here are my thoughts:

-Make sure the stringers and transom are in good condition (mine had been replaced in 2014)

Cons

-I had Ford 302s in mine, wished I had 350s

-Very seaworthy boats, though mine didn't love to run a following sea

-Can be top heavy, not much fun fishing the ditch

-Wished mine had in-deck fish boxes (some do have them)

Pros

-Very fishable boats, there is a reason there are so many of them on Ontario

-Very safe, high gunwales

-Never had any mechanical or structural issues.

Before you buy any boat, MAKE SURE YOU GET IT SURVEYED and SEA TRIALED!

Good luck

• Like 1

Just did a below deck restoration on my 313... New Black locust Stringers.. ZF Hurth Transmissions, and two new 383 Stroker Motors...
Great boat. She has gotten me home safe in some God awful waves..

I owned and operated a 1989 Baha Cruisers 280 Sport Fisherman (same boat as the weekender except less cabin & more deck).  Here are my thoughts:
-Make sure the stringers and transom are in good condition (mine had been replaced in 2014)
Cons
Pros

Good luck

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:28 AM, Big Spoon said:

Cons

Pros

Good luck

I have owned a couple 28 Sport Fisherman over the years.  I agree with Chris on a few things above.  Disagree on a few others.

Yes following sea sucks.  Most boats don't do well though in big following seas.  The Baha is a little nose heavy.  This is what hurts it in the following sea.

I believe the 28 is great in the ditch.  Not many boats in that size class perform well in the ditch the 28 does.  the 29 Penny is another good ditch boat in the same class.

I had 305 Volvo's never wished for anything bigger.  Tweaked props added cupping to allow planning at lower rpm.  The boat had plenty of power with that engine package.

I also had a 28 with the 351 Windsor Fords that was just as good.  But in comparison the 305's ran the boat just as well.  Volvo trannies are EXPENSIVE to replace (rebuilding is not an option) in kind you would most likely replace with Hurths.  They are the Cadillac of marine transmissions anyway. 

Yes on the Sea trial and Survey.  Most out there by now have had it done at this point.

I appreciate all the info fellas. 
yes I will not buy without having a survey Done. I want to get 10-15years out of it hopefully.  
    Before I buy one thou I want to get out on one and get a feel of how they fish.  Even If I gotta charter a trip for a boat ride. Lol. 
  After that I just gotta find one for sale.