Looking to start a discussion on wind from Oswego to Henderson region

I’m curious to hear the vary thoughts on wind direction and it’s effects on the fisheries between Oswego and Henderson Harbor. Not so much a discussion of wave activity but rather what people’s preferred wind directions are for favorable fishing conditions... also have you noticed a species preference in relation to wind direction? This past weekend the Browns seemed to move down from Nine Mile to Oswego with an east blow and it got me thinking if others find similar experiences and if they notice any specifics in regards to species 

Let me be the first to say it... east is least, west is best as far as wind and fishing goes. That is pretty much a consensus lake wide. I’m sure someone can elaborate on reasoning as I’m not 100% sure of the science behind it.

This is a perfect  time for this topic to come up though. After strong east winds the past few days going into very fishable conditions for a holiday weekend.

Edited by FishingFool34

As a weekend warrior I have never put that puzzle together but I will say that I depend on my down speed and cable angle . The other part of the puzzle I wish I understood is why they will hit only going one direction at the same down speed ? Frustrating, but I love it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

As a weekend warrior I have never put that puzzle together but I will say that I depend on my down speed and cable angle . The other part of the puzzle I wish I understood is why they will hit only going one direction at the same down speed ? Frustrating, but I love it !!

I hear ya. Current is a ****. When the cable's sing so do the drags, but that east blow sucks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, final flight said:

In terms of direction, if there is a strong enough current the fish will orient to it. Imagine fishing in a river, you would never expect a fish to hit a down stream presentation. They will face into current if it is strong enough.  If you find fish in an area hitting in one trolling direction that is likely the case. 

East type winds blow warm surface waters to the west. Colder bottom water upwells and the fish metabolism and feeding stops. During warm summer west winds the warm water stacks up on the east end and the fish flee to cooler waters.Offshore winds on the south shore cause cold water up wellings in the summer and the thermocline should be sought as that the fish will congregate. The thermocline is where warm and cold waters mix.

• Like 1