Seneca lake Big Fish Friday

I'm putting my feelers out for interest in a BFF. We have a private property about 2 miles north of Sampson. Weigh in would be at 5pm and entry would be $20, winner takes all. If there is enough interest by tomorrow evening I would give interested parties address, phone number and parking info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I wish I could laugh out loud.  LOL...  Well, I can but I'm only laughing at myself.  I've been on a few times and it's been pretty tough so far but the water has been so cold.  This past weekend I was only hitting mid 40s on the surface in the morning and maybe high 40s by afternoon.  Been fishing north of Sampson.  Hopefully this warm blow out of the south will turn on the feed bags.

I went out the other day for a half day a didn’t catch crap! But it was still pretty chilly water I hope the past warm days have drawn some fish out

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fished from 5 am this morning to 2 in the afternoon never moved a rod and threw about 200 different lures gambler rigs lead core 300 cop 150 cop 200 cop nothing...it’s tough out here in Seneca but still gotta give it the college try 🥴

I fished from 5 am this morning to 2 in the afternoon never moved a rod and threw about 200 different lures gambler rigs lead core 300 cop 150 cop 200 cop nothing...it’s tough out here in Seneca but still gotta give it the college try [emoji3061]

So does that mean your in for BBF?

It was like this in the mid seventies to early eighties too and once they got the lampreys under better control the fishery bounced back. There is still hope My diary reports for some years back then indicated about 4 hrs to catch a trout and it is similar right now. Challenging yes and it required "thinking out of the box" and experimentation and.....patience and no matter how good you are at it some "luck" as far as winning the derby.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

Yep Les. Patience will be key. With these temps, fish are all over the place. Don’t leave fish to find fish. If your not marking them find a new spot. Don’t overthink things. You guys know this. Good luck to everyone out there. Be safe. Should be good weather. I’ll be following that whaler out there.......

• Like 1

Ok so getting post back on point. Les...your always fishing, you should get in for BBF. And if there is anyone else let me know asap, i will be cutting off entry tonight at 8 PM. Numbers are getting better since I posted on the National Lake Trout derby Facebook page. It's a great way to kick off the derby weekend with a little friendly biggest fish takes all the money!

Brett first of all thanks for doing the BFF and I appreciate the invitation. I have a couple of personal issues: one my boat trailer is currently in the process of being fixed (brake master cylinders and seals, new tires) and I hope  by Saturday for sure. The second thing relates to my main reason for not pre- fishing at all for more than the last ten or more years is because I have caught bigger fish than won the derby both before and after the derby in the past and I am quite superstitious so I now always go in cold the first day and try to figure out things from there. I do miss the social aspects of getting together with a great bunch of folks though and wish everyone good luck out there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Brett first of all thanks for doing the BFF and I appreciate the invitation. I have a couple of personal issues: one my boat trailer is currently in the process of being fixed (brake master cylinders and seals, new tires) and I hope  by Saturday for sure. The second thing relates to my main reason for not pre- fishing at all for more than the last ten or more years is because I have caught bigger fish than won the derby both before and after the derby in the past and I am quite superstitious so I now always go in cold the first day and try to figure out things from there. I do miss the social aspects of getting together with a great bunch of folks though and wish everyone good luck out there.

DO YOU WANT TO BARROW MY TRAILER IT IS EMPTY AND READY TO GO ?

Thanks Dennis we were able to locate the parts this morning and I should be back in business soon Once again, this website has some wonderful people on it and I truly appreciate the offers . Best of luck to all of your folks this season and with the derby in particular. a special thanks to my buddy Admiral Byrd who always can be counted on to come through in a pinch:smile:

Edited by Sk8man