I am in the market for new rod holders and I need some input. I have ran the Big Jon multi-position rod holders for a while and I would like to go to a track system this year. I don't dislike the Big Jon's but there are certain things that I'm not crazy about. What do you guys think? I don't like Salty's cause of the butts in the way. The Big Jons have a limited amount of adjustment, I want to vary my angles. Cisco's look nice but I like the look of Bert's rachet system, is there a rod holder with lots of anjustment that rachets?

I have played with them all! It took me about a year to decide what I wanted to do. One thing that I didn't like with Traxtech, Berts, Big John, and Vector was you were limited to certain positions. Where ever there was a groove or hole was the position you HAD to have. When I saw the Cisco's in action I said now there is the ULTIMATE rod holder. It locks in ANY position you want it to. On top of that it swivels 360 degrees. There isn't a position it cant go in!

One recommendation I do have, if your boat allows, is to put them on a Traxstech track. It just gives you that much more flexibility. On some of the older models I have sen some of the hardware in the mount start to rust. A call to Cisco and that problem is taken care of. Recently one of the partners died from cancer. So the owner has some issues meeting deadlines and if you want a colored rod holder he waits till he has a minimum order for that color before he produces it. So, what I am trying to say is if you like these I would put your order in now.

Below are some pictures of mine in action. In the first pic you are looking at (from left to right) copper off the board, high wire, low wire, and the corner rigger rod. Looking at the two wires there is no way any other rod holder would allow you to keep both of them that low. Again, becasue you are limited to their hole or groove. Good luck in your endeavor! its a one time purchase so buy what works for you and remember to allow your decision to be flexible in the future if you want to add on.

CIMG3088.jpg

100_0637.jpg

100_0639.jpg

I had Big Jon multiset rodholders in track for my divers. I was in the process towards purchasing some longer track and some extra Big Jon rod holders when I first saw the Ciscos on Yankees boat last May in Wilson. I was sold at once. I have since changed my boat setup to accommodate 4' tracks and 4 holders per side.

Eric

I like the unlimited positions that the Cisco's can be put in and I've seen them on YT's boat and they're a nice holder. That being said, we run Traxstech holders and love them:

DSC062873.jpg

Another one to consider is the new Cannon holder. It'll fit right into a Bert's or Traxstech track and it ratchets like the Bert's but the tip is replaceable should it wear out.

AdjustableRodHolderDualAxis1907002.jpg

We have the new Cannon rigger mounted holders for the boat this year and they've a highly adjustable holder and are built like a tank. They're based off of their track mounted holders and I think they're definitely worth looking into.

There's lot of options out there and they'll all work well for you.

Sean,

I would guess that they should work with whatever swivel base you have since the bolt pattern on the rigger base is standard. You might have to mess around to figure out which length bolts you'll need to mount them. On my Cannon swivel bases it takes four 3" 1/4-20 bolts.

lastminute,

You can buy mounts for Big Jon rod holders that fit in Berts custom tracks. Email the guys at Big Jon. I looked into it and they were $10 each for a plate. I ended up having mine made by a buddy. If you decide to go with another rod holder, let me know and I will buy a couple of the Big Jon rod holders off of you.

I went through Cisco. Go to their website and get the contact info. They always seem to be backed-up, which I guess is a good and bad thing. I don't think rod holders are their everyday business. They are a machine shop. Im pretty sure Maniac and TallTails went the same route as I did.

I recently bought through Cisco. Very pleasant to work with and was only a week or so phone call til delivery. Really nice looking product. I bought a couple of rod holders to run my dipseys off my arch. My arch tube is larger than the rail mounts he has so I am having some machined. They were honest enough to tell me I could get it done cheaper on my own.

Dennis at Cisco is great the other half of the company (Jim) passed away and they were in the midst of moving to a larger shop. It's a transition period for Cisco but they are alive and well, just busy expecially with all the shows going on, if you PM me I can put you in direct touch with them as I work with them on some stuff great rod holders, the BEST PERIOD!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Great info.

? - Talked to a serious troller the other day and he says that he ties all of his rod handles to the rod holder with a clips. The reason being is he has had the line on rods break and they jump out of the rod holder due to the release of tension.

Anyone else have this happen? First I've heard of it.

I guess its a possibility. I've been fishing Lake O for over 20 years and I have never had it happen to me. But, I would imagine it only takes one instance for you to protect your rods and reel like that.

Actually, the Traxstech's come with a safety strap integrated into the cap on the holder. We had a planer board tow line grab a guide on our lowest rod when we were brown trout fishing one year and it pulled the rod right out of the holder and we lost it in the drink. Now we always strap in our low rods when we're BT fishing! Never had an issue with the low rods when we've been diver fishing though....always seems to be more than enough tension to keep the rods in the holders but I can see if one breaks where it might be an issue in that low holder.

while on the topic of rod holders my buddy gave me a pair of super ski rod holders, they are a super heavy duty poly upper with a heavy aluminum base Q? are they heavy enough for wire dipseys? it apppears i can mount 4 of the rod holders per side with ease

ted

ray be nice!

Great info.

? - Talked to a serious troller the other day and he says that he ties all of his rod handles to the rod holder with a clips. The reason being is he has had the line on rods break and they jump out of the rod holder due to the release of tension.

Anyone else have this happen? First I've heard of it.

I almost forgot! We were trolling up the Genny this past fall and I had my wire out 15 0r 20' and a fish hit the thing and all I heard was zit...zit....nothing! He hit so hard he snapped my 30lb wire. Rod went straight, and it stayed in the holder. As for planer board fishing I would suggest it becasue I have head horror stories of those planer lines poppin' rods out of holders.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought these last year from Markies Mounts. I him found on ebay while looking for a track system . Great customer service and he threw an adjustable rod holder in for free. He's worth a look. I was looking at Berts last year myself, but glad I flound Markies. I plan on buying another track for my lead core line down the chute this season.

http://www.markiesmounts.com/