Optimzers!!!

Optimizer spoons were initially made in Rochester by Jim Martino. Optimizer was purchased a few years by by Trinidad Tackle out of California. Many old timers remember how great these spoons were at higher speeds and you can cover some water plus they are great in rough water.

Over the last few years I've been giving them some playing time. The fish see the same spoons trolled by them day after day, so I've been going a bit different.

I just received come custom paint jobs from Trinidad Tackle today... Lake Ontario proven patterns.

Tight lines peoples. 0520201443.thumb.jpeg.5961eafff6f67734b14bc235f0b668cd.jpeg

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Optimizers work best 3.0+ mph... I run Mostly the #3 size.

Kings chomp them nicely in the spring. Out offshore last year, there was some very green water. I threw out some variation of black silvers and the steelhead chewed em up..

I'm a spoon guy... I have confidence with spoons. If I have optimizers out... I put them on all my riggers.. 3.0-3.4 mph is faster than most people normally troll, but you can cover some distance to find active fish.

1511307300_837982.thumb.jpeg.f611a8c53460294480f25b30cee672f8.jpeg0417201647.thumb.jpeg.351779891c09d9903b9af661581cf520.jpeg0527190810_HDR.thumb.jpeg.bc35855a43a6a8d489aa4892ef759c9f.jpeg0825181103a.thumb.jpeg.b21360801e8614fb15dfbab09086ab1f.jpeg0825181128a.thumb.jpeg.4d52c2d03dc4bc92358cd171357de7ad.jpeg

The black magic optimiser in the picture above is deadly.I have a few copper and orange, deadly for browns even in the fingerlakes.I most always had the half black and half purple down.They work even down to 2MPH. I knew a guy at Hughes that ran the blue and white optimiser year around,, I know of one 20+lb rainbow caught on the baby shower optimiser.1st place LOC.Very rugged spoon  .

I probably have 30 or so been thinking about putting them up for sale. I cant decide.

I did not check but last time I looked them up it was a site called   Tamiron   it might still be there.

Fish... Tamiron was Jim's site... optimizers and Honeybees ( also a great steelhead spoon) .

Jim sold the Optimizer spoon business to Stan Kulak of Shasta California. Stan owns Trinidad tackle.

It's funny how these staples of Lake Ontario fishing that I used to use back in the 80s still produce even after all the changes the lake has had.

Will other spoons work?Absolutely, but having some of these speed demons can add just a little different spin on your spread. Especially in the near future when the lake transition starts and we are offshore targeting buckeyes.

Well my theory is I run them 10-20 ft behind the ball... Closer to the boat, more action they get...
If you were inclined to run other brands of spoons with optimizers, you could run them on divers, or junk lines... Farther from the boat at faster speeds the slower the action is...
Optimizers are very similar to old school NKs. They have awesome action in rolling conditions... If you look at those pictures, that day we pounded steelhead it was blowing 20-25 out of the South... We were offshore and it was sloppy... Had to troll with them....pick the gear up...run back into the waves , then set up and troll with em... Sustained 4fts with a 6 every couple minutes...
Just some hints about changing things up and thinking outside the box....

Matt

The Optimizer comes in a 3 5/8" and 4 1/4" in the next 4 weeks we will have a 2 1/4" Optimizer. Ran it through field test last Wednesday it hooked up half our catch. It was just a plain Brass spoon will not have the Hex patter like the # 3 & # 4 

20200520_111512.jpg

IMG_0623.JPG

Edited by stan

I think I just gave some of them away. At least they were shaped the same way.  Hopefully the two guys I gave them to get em wet. 

I still have some.  Think I’m gonna try them Now on a rough daY when the normal stuff isn’t productive