Food plot 2020

Mine was seven as well but I did 17 17 17 as well as more lime before it got tilled.
No doubt I overseeded but we’ll see what happens. Looking forward to seeing what the Urea does. IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.241344114697cfb9233a130ed8aad2af.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That’s exactly how they should look Bill. Perfect !!

• Like 1

Yah, my plants might need to just hit a threshold of growth or something but they definitely aren’t as tall as the other brassica pics here. I planted aug 1st

If you over seeded the plot it will stunt them horribly. Just another possibility. They should be at least 4”-6” by now

You can all see what I am talking about now. My girlfriend and I did some major work in this first plot shown and weeded .5 acres by hand! Milkweed was taking over and you can see the middle portion that we hadn’t gotten to yet in the videos below. The first and second video are the before and after of the same plot, the next two are the other plots to show the growth rate. 

So what do you guys think I should do? Ride it out? There are clearly plenty of plants and actually the cameras show The deer already lightly grazing. That said, I am not above throwing down some cereal rye to hedge my bets. 

You can all see what I am talking about now. My girlfriend and I did some major work in this first plot shown and weeded .5 acres by hand! Milkweed was taking over and you can see the middle portion that we hadn’t gotten to yet in the videos below. The first and second video are the before and after of the same plot, the next two are the other plots to show the growth rate. 

So what do you guys think I should do? Ride it out? There are clearly plenty of plants and actually the cameras show The deer already lightly grazing. That said, I am not above throwing down some cereal rye to hedge my bets. 

Broadcast some winter rye or Buck forage oats and Hit the turnips with some Urea just before rain is forecasted. That should take care of your issue. The cereal grain will fill out the plot and you’ll still have some turnips.

Well, I’m not taking any chances. The deer are hammering my undersized brassicas and I’m not gonna go without a good attraction this season. 300 lbs of winter rye went into the various brassica plots as filler along with 200 lbs of urea to boost the brassicas that are currently growing well. Supposed to rain tonight in brockport so this should be my last touches before season. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Taboo for me to walk in or around my plot after September but I just had to check it out . Knee high Wintergreens on the right planted Aug 4th and green patch plus on the left planted September 7th. Both are getting light brows right now. 4 active scrapes on the edges..

Me being a dope shooting baby buck has my phone ringing off the hook with buddies I never seen helping me all summer...go figure. 

I plan to put a few rookie first timers in there to get them hooked for life ..I feel like a heroin dealer. :)

20201022_140238.thumb.jpg.d4ecce5ace82512c219d423b2cdc1aac.jpg

20201022_140641.thumb.jpg.5dff1fa99fbbdd8aac2b3a75e71e299d.jpg

2 hours ago, HOLY DIVER said:

Taboo for me to walk in or around my plot after September but I just had to check it out . Knee high Wintergreens on the right planted Aug 4th and green patch plus on the left planted September 7th. Both are getting light brows right now. 4 active scrapes on the edges..

Me being a dope shooting baby buck has my phone ringing off the hook with buddies I never seen helping me all summer...go figure. 

I plan to put a few rookie first timers in there to get them hooked for life ..I feel like a heroin dealer. :)

20201022_140238.thumb.jpg.d4ecce5ace82512c219d423b2cdc1aac.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b88dfaa7bb580e43

20201022_140641.thumb.jpg.5dff1fa99fbbdd8aac2b3a75e71e299d.jpg

It’s funny you got light browse, I am surrounded by ag fields but my plots of beets and turnips got pounded since September. Luckily they developed some great bulbs and still putting out new green growth 

I even panicked during the drout and added 200lbs of rye.. so under all that leaf is a lush green carpet .   Last time I did annuals they hit em hard late NoV .  We don't have deer herds around here we have herds of hunters. Its surprising we have 🦌  at all

6 minutes ago, HOLY DIVER said:

I even panicked during the drout and added 200lbs of rye.. so under all that leaf is a lush green carpet .   Last time I did annuals they hit em hard late NoV .  We don't have deer herds around here we have herds of hunters. Its surprising we have 🦌  at all

LOL So did I. I added 100 lbs of rye to each of my .5 acre plots. Thank God I did!