Power Pro downrigger line

I have had 2 breakoffs with regular cable (while dropping downrigger weight to depth) in the past two years. My riggers are cannon mag 10 stx. Super fast.

I've heard that power Pro is more user friendly, more stealthy, has less blow back, and some people claim catches less fish when you lose the hum of cable. Others claim bigger fish bite the power Pro.

Also with cannon if I switch to power Pro line I'll lose the auto stop feature. Does this mean when the ball comes out of the water it will go all the way to the boom? Or stop short of that?

What # are guys running that use this stuff? I see there is 150, 200, 250.

you could try adding a snubber to help absorb some of the impact while dropping the ball. Losing autostop means that the rigger will reel the ball all the way to the boom and keep reeling until you manually stop it. You're also gonna have to deal with fleas come summertime and they love to stick to braided line. Personally I wouldn't switch my riggers to braid because of the reasons mentioned above, but I have never had the issues you're describing. Goodluck

I had braid on a couple Mag 10s - the braid disables the auto-stop (or, in this case, the auto-up) functionality.  You will need to manually hold the switch in the up position to retrieve your weight.

I have the same riggers and lost a 14 lb weight on the violent stop. Tried the Amisn outfitters snubber. Are quite large and seemed to increase blowback. Bought a Dreamweaver setup that has two twisted snubbers with a knockoff type blacks release between them. Liked it but was a bit too elastic. Took it apart and made two units. One kept the release and on the other I added a release and used large split rings to hook on. Worked well all last season. Has just about the proper elasticity to stop the violent starts and stops on the Cannon. Didnt lose anything else so far.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Got some 250# power pro. I left 100 feet of cable or so on the rigger and Albright knotted in 300 feet of the power pro. I also bought the Scotty blue rigger weight snubbers and bought replacement parts for my cannon retro ease weight retrievers. They were pretty chewed/grooved up from cable running thru. I'll give it a try and report back.

Edited by BrokeOff

• 2 weeks later...

Well got one trip under my belt with the power pro/ cannon downrigger. As others stated I lost auto stop and also auto up... have to hold the switch to get the ball to the surface. So far I don't mind that. The 250# pro seems pretty thick, I think thinner stuff would be better. But it did take a few fish. It was definitely quieter without the hum. Debating whether to switch over another rigger.