Fly rodding gills on Indian River Lake

Kevin J Legg

Fished with a fly rod with poppers on the edge of the weed and over top of them. It’s a fun way to catch them as they slurp up you’re the popper. Not a hot bite but they seem to be in scattered little schools.

I kept 13 last evening and about the same this morning. Not huge ones but still got a pound of fillets both days.Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Great fun with a fly rod. When I was young I did a lot of fly fishing for them. If they grew to 5 to 10 lbs I would still be chasing them [emoji228]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They bring out the kid in me. A good change from my more serious fishing.

• 2 months later...

Nice mix of 'seeds, gills, rockies and the one perch in that last pic. I have repeatedly espoused flyrodding for panfish down through the seasons, particularly sunnies on topwater offerings. It was a baby pumpkinseed that was so small it had not even been able to be hooked; the tiny bit of worm had lodged in it's mouth and I just popped it out of it's mouth. I was about 9 years old and had caught bigger and more fish before. But that beautifully colored little 'seed in the middle of the palm of my 9 year-old hand was like falling in love. From that moment on I have been in love with fishing and all of that is connected to it. Catching, cooking and eating, being on or close to or even in the water, environmental awareness, at the water with others, concern with just about everything including science. All because of a baby panfish....But I digress. Nice job as usual Kevin !!   

Nice mix of 'seeds, gills, rockies and the one perch in that last pic. I have repeatedly espoused flyrodding for panfish down through the seasons, particularly sunnies on topwater offerings. It was a baby pumpkinseed that was so small it had not even been able to be hooked; the tiny bit of worm had lodged in it's mouth and I just popped it out of it's mouth. I was about 9 years old and had caught bigger and more fish before. But that beautifully colored little 'seed in the middle of the palm of my 9 year-old hand was like falling in love. From that moment on I have been in love with fishing and all of that is connected to it. Catching, cooking and eating, being on or close to or even in the water, environmental awareness, at the water with others, concern with just about everything including science. All because of a baby panfish....But I digress. Nice job as usual Kevin !!   

Thanks for the story. Today I got my two grandsons out to a pond near their home. Each caught around 10 small bluegills but hopefully it fueled the fire.IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1523.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app