New(not new) to the site

Hello, my name is Rick. I have been a member of this site for a while but don't post anything...until now. I have a small boat, 17' 6" fish/ski. I want to get into doing a little trolling(weather permitting of course) for trout and salmon. I've been on many charters but want to try it on my own. Hopefully I can learn from some of you pros about what type of gear I can get started with. I'm gonna be using dipsy divers and planner boards, not going to get into downriggers with such a small boat. Any help/advise would be appreciated, Thanks!

Two dipsys. Slide divers with 80lb braid.
Fluorocarbon leaders. One with a spin dr and fly. The other with a speed friendly spoon. You’ll be amazed what you will catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

14 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Two dipsys. Slide divers with 80lb braid.
Fluorocarbon leaders. One with a spin dr and fly. The other with a speed friendly spoon. You’ll be amazed what you will catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the reply.what lbs test flouro would you recommend

downriggers should nnot be a problem depending on the structure of the boat. had them on my 16 foot . use flashers with meat head rig in summer . planer boards work early season and summer if looking for steelhead.long lines 100 ft . riule of thumb for dipsy divers at 3 setting is 1/3 od distance back for approximate depth using wire line.

3 hours ago, katy did it said:

downriggers should nnot be a problem depending on the structure of the boat. had them on my 16 foot . use flashers with meat head rig in summer . planer boards work early season and summer if looking for steelhead.long lines 100 ft . riule of thumb for dipsy divers at 3 setting is 1/3 od distance back for approximate depth using wire line.

It's a fiberglass boat, maybe later down the road I might delve into downriggers but for now I think my only options will be dipsys and boards. Don't you have to use different poles for wire?

yes. heavier type rods are best used with large dipsys with twilly tip to prevent wire from cutting thru eye. looks like a big coil spring. okuma has a nice copper line rod that I use for wire dipsys with twiily tip. not real expensive either. you might want to to look at the new flat metal dipsys; no 5 size. very easy to retrieve. using meat rigs in the fall the plastic heads are relatively inexpensive thru janns net craft. be sure to coat with clear coat as the paint peels easily.

• 7 months later...