BRP announces the discontinuing of Evinrude outboards 5/27/2020

Effective immediately BRP is discontinuing the Evinrude line and moving in other directions in the marine industry.  At this point they have no plans to sell the brand or technology.  They plan on continuing the availability of parts and service.

My own comments are this.  I have two E-TEC's which I think are great.  After the OMC bankruptcy and the bad product that was put out there, the dealer network shrunk and I am sure market sure also shrunk.  BRP shutdown Johnson a number of years ago and I am sure tried to increase market share.  Their statement yesterday alluded to the fact that there have been concerns for a while and have nothing to do with the COVID-19 situation.      

MCF;

Surprised they lasted this long, the two stroke concept died after the market switched to four stroke.  They certainly took their engines to the highest level along the way though.

Thanks for the info

good luck 

John

MCF;
Surprised they lasted this long, the two stroke concept died after the market switched to four stroke.  They certainly took their engines to the highest level along the way though.

Thanks for the info

good luck 
John

I will never own a 4 stroke as long as my e tech will run

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

Tragic... they have the best product on the market in my opinion. Until the late' 90s OMC Evinrude + Johnson had more of the market than anyone and Evinrude essentially invented the practical outboard (not the Waterman). What a shame. I'll own Evinrudes and Johnsons until I'm in the grave I'm 70 so not that many years, hopefully can get parts LOL!  Still. what a terrible end to a great legacy!

My thoughts are Bass Pro/Cabelas outlets have the hugest selection of boats in stock at their stores, mainly powered by Mercury outboards, and this results in higher sales. Buyers have a greater choice in boats there.