Oneida Lake Reports

NJFirman

I thought I would start a thread so all the information is one place. I appreciate when guys post reports for oneida so thought i'd contribute. 

5/27:

-Winds: S @ 6

-Trolled south side of the lake from 8-11PM in 6-18 FOW with raps on boards. We ended up with 4 eyes, the biggest at 21" and a giant perch. Caught a few short eyes, lots of rock bass and a couple giant smallies. 

Oneida 5-27.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Same pattern today. Reef runners off the boards. Had to slow down to 1.5 to get takers.saw a lot of nets coming out on the Godfrey point drop off from the boys jigging and snapping sonars.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I've never trolled on Onieda. I have jigged but would like to possibly troll.  What would be a good starting point as far as stickbait styles and colors?  You guys run leadcore, snap weights, jet divers?

Went out 02 June from 6:30pm-10:15 pm, just missing the rain. Fished between Buoy 130, Dunham Island, and Wantry Island. Depth was between 12-25 FOW.

got 4 shorts, one keeper and lost a few nicer ones near the boat, also a couple small perch.

Bucktails (black) and Bladebaits (perch) seemed to do the trick.

Marked lots, and the ones that were boated were near ledges/transitions.

Saw a few boats trolling what looked like bottom bouncers in the area, along with a few others casting. Did not see many other fish being caught.

Good Luck

• Like 1

I've never trolled on Onieda. I have jigged but would like to possibly troll.  What would be a good starting point as far as stickbait styles and colors?  You guys run leadcore, snap weights, jet divers?

Just my 2 cents and everyone has their own style, but I would invest in a set of inline planer boards. I prefer wide wobble baits like reef runner, bomber, cordell stingers, and bay rat xld.Well tuned and fish the marks and I always run one high in the water column. My biggest fish almost always come on the highest line, even in deep water.even in 40 fow I will run one line in the 12-14 ft range. 30 years of meticulous notes on Oneida has also taught me that faster trolls produce bigger fish. So I would start there for what it,s worth. Like I said everyone fishes there own way.also might want to download the precision trolling app. The dive curves are very close.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Brian said:

Just my 2 cents and everyone has their own style, but I would invest in a set of inline planer boards. I prefer wide wobble baits like reef runner, bomber, cordell stingers, and bay rat xld.Well tuned and fish the marks and I always run one high in the water column. My biggest fish almost always come on the highest line, even in deep water.even in 40 fow I will run one line in the 12-14 ft range. 30 years of meticulous notes on Oneida has also taught me that faster trolls produce bigger fish. So I would start there for what it,s worth. Like I said everyone fishes there own way.also might want to download the precision trolling app. The dive curves are very close.

Thanks Brian. I have trolled for eyes on Erie so I think I have most of the gear, just not sure about stick bait patterns etc... perch, gizzard shad, and goby would be a few guesses I would probably try?  My in lines are the older ones so they do not have the spring loaded strike indicator flags so small fish that hang on can be a pain at times.  We also seemed to do better on Erie with a faster troll. Seemed to be less bycatch.  Some days we ran up to 3.0 on the GPS. 

Bay rat xld- Black mamba, chrome blue, goby

reef runner- eerily naked, naked purple

dhj12 - purple glass perch, custom antifreeze perch

deep bandit - chrome blue, sandstorm

these are the baits that’s ive had good luck with in both Oneida and Erie....properly set tattle flags are IMO required on Oneida as those fish really don’t pull the boards back

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, Brian said:

Well said. Always run one line up high for sure (outside rod). On my inside rod I will run a 3 way swivel with a short 4ft leader and a deep diving lure and a 6ft leader with a floating lure and a 3oz inline weight. That will be my deepest & shortest rod to cover the bottom and the floating lure will cover just off the bottom to cover those parts of the water column. Only thing I really play with is speed. When the barometric pressure is low I think the fish are more sluggish and like it slower and I'll run 1.4 to 1.7. On a normal day I'll be in the 1.8-2.2 range. I also think faster speeds produce bigger fish when I am seeking a reaction bite where the fish don't have time to "look the bait over" I'm going 2.5-3.0. Turns will sometimes give you an idea of the speed to run. On Oneida I've done well with flicker shads, flicker minnows and bay rats. Precision trolling app is a valuable tool and tattle flags are a must on Oneida for those 15" fish. TIGHT LINES!

• Like 1