Another big cayuga brown

Nice Brown!! Looks like you were trolling west shore. I pulled a big one out last week as well. Then It turned off for me except an okay Salmon. Was trolling off North point on Sunday, by Taughanook 50' down over 270' of water and the rod went off. about spooled me had to do a direct turn around. What a mess on everything. Must have been a submerged log because it never got closer than 70' before it finally broke. 

5C170B6F-1B4A-49D8-8752-ABA29C8314C1.jpeg

:lol: I haven't specifically night fished in a long time. I used to do it a lot on Canandaigua, Keuka and Seneca. back then I had specially rigged light weight Seth greens with 3 leaders and a sawbelly on each, sometimes just used two standard stillfishing rigs one near bottom and the other suspended and adjusted frequently to different depths. The slip bobber method can also be used in the shallower water especially on moonlight nights so they can see the bait contrasted against the sky. Usually I depended on the light from the lanterns out perpendicular to the boat ( or a headlight device surrounded by styrofoam hooked to the battery for short periods)  for light to bring the bait up to get the bugs attracted to the light and the fish came after the bai that was attracted to the bugs. Sometimes you'd see these big hulking beasts rising from the depths after the bait For lakers I fished from 80 -150 ft and for browns within 80 ft depths and near drop-offs. Used to get some real nice fish at the south end of Canandaigua, the Hammondsport end of Keuka, and near the Branchport launch, and out in front of Dresden on Seneca. There is nothing that compares with starting to fall asleep by yourself out there and hearing the drag going out on a rod and all of a sudden hearing a fish jumping somewhere out there and taking line (sometimes it would be a rainbow).....kinda like fishing with a blindfold:lol: There is another LOU member that used to be on here called the Rainbow Kid that fished the south end of Canandaigua at the same time I did and a number of the charter guys that night fished it migrated to Lake O  when the salmon fishing kicked into gear in the eighties.

IMG_1456.JPG
I was experimenting using sawbellies on my Seth green rig the other night and this was the prize! Thanks for the idea of night fishing with the light I will have to give it a try maybe it can help me out on Seneca!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 3

Nice going on the laker:yes:. Kind of ironic looking at your downriggers (Riverias) as that is what I used too for suspending my lanterns back in the 70's and early eighties night fishing:smile:

Nice going on the laker:yes:. Kind of ironic looking at your downriggers (Riverias) as that is what I used too for suspending my lanterns back in the 70's and early eighties night fishing:smile:

Haha makes since my boat is a 1969 Starcraft and I believe those downriggers were from an early owner! I have come close to replacing them but it’s my first boat and they haven’t failed me yet, this old boat really tells a story of all previous owners! I can’t wait until I grow out of this boat and can grow the history.

• Like 1

As long as they work.....not too many headaches with them and you don't have to worry about your battery going dead etc.:smile:  Just be gentle with that little plastic catch that folds out and holds the handle.:lol: I have a lot of good memories with those riggers. actually had one of those riggers before I even had my first boat. I bought an extra base plate and we installed it on my buddy's boat about 1976 or so and I operated it when I fished with him as he thought it wasn't "old school":smile:

Edited by Sk8man

As long as they work.....not too many headaches with them and you don't have to worry about your battery going dead etc.:smile:  Just be gentle with that little plastic catch that folds out and holds the handle.:lol: I have a lot of good memories with those riggers. actually had one of those riggers before I even had my first boat. I bought an extra base plate and we installed it on my buddy's boat about 1976 or so and I operated it when I fished with him as he thought it wasn't "old school":smile:

I have made some good memories so far with them until my hand slips off the handle and the weight takes off! They definitely make solo fishing interesting haha