The Sodus Pro/Am is excited to announce that the tournament is go for the 2020 season. The event will run July 15th-19th. Plans are currently being put into place to meet the social distancing guidelines. Some of these changes will include no observers and live broadcasts.

Although, observers play a big role in helping protect the integrity of the tournament we have decided to move away from this rule for this year. This will allow teams the peace of mind that they will not have a stranger onboard. We will instead have random lie detector tests for placing teams to protect the tournament’s integrity.

Last year we ran the first live broadcasted weigh-in on Lake Ontario and it was a huge hit. We will use this experience to offer unique ways to reduce mass gatherings. We have plans in place to use broadcasts to aid in our captains meeting and weigh-ins. These plans will be fluid depending on the guidance from our Federal and States officials.

Our overall goal is to provide a fun and safe tournament for our fishing community. We will continue to adjust the way we conduct the tournament to meet the needs. We wish everyone a happy and safe summer and hope to see you in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

The Sodus Pro/Am is excited to announce that the tournament is go for the 2020 season. The event will run July 15th-19th. Plans are currently being put into place to meet the social distancing guidelines. Some of these changes will include no observers and live broadcasts.

Although, observers play a big role in helping protect the integrity of the tournament we have decided to move away from this rule for this year. This will allow teams the peace of mind that they will not have a stranger onboard. We will instead have random lie detector tests for placing teams to protect the tournament’s integrity.

Last year we ran the first live broadcasted weigh-in on Lake Ontario and it was a huge hit. We will use this experience to offer unique ways to reduce mass gatherings. We have plans in place to use broadcasts to aid in our captains meeting and weigh-ins. These plans will be fluid depending on the guidance from our Federal and States officials.

Our overall goal is to provide a fun and safe tournament for our fishing community. We will continue to adjust the way we conduct the tournament to meet the needs. We wish everyone a happy and safe summer and hope to see you in July.

Great news. The Lake Ontario Challenge Cup will be awarded this year based on The Orleans County Open, and the Sodus Pro Am. Teams wishing to compete for the cup should contact Matt LeClair or myself prior to the start of the Orleans County Open.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Looking for clarification,

How will random lie detector tests for placing teams be conducted? Would like to know what places will be included, how will it be randomized, who on the teams chosen will the test be given to? I’m really not a fan of not having an observer and not having a observer sets up teams to once again cheat. Therefore what would the standards be for lie detector? 

Respectfully;

Capt. David Urban

Team MY WAY...

How will random lie detector tests for placing teams be conducted? Would like to know what places will be included, how will it be randomized, who on the teams chosen will the test be given to? I’m really not a fan of not having an observer and not having a observer sets up teams to once again cheat. Therefore what would the standards be for lie detector? 

Respectfully;

Capt. David Urban

Team MY WAY...

How will random lie detector tests for placing teams be conducted? Would like to know what places will be included, how will it be randomized, who on the teams chosen will the test be given to? I’m really not a fan of not having an observer and not having a observer sets up teams to once again cheat. Therefore what would the standards be for lie detector? 

Respectfully;
Capt. David Urban
Team MY WAY...

David,
As stated Sodus fully plans to keep observers as we move forward even as other tournaments are starting to go away from such. That being said due to the unique circumstances in the world we are not in position to force a team to take on an additional person on their boat at this time. If something changes we certainly will take that into consideration . We agree that an observer helps protect the integrity of the tournament and keep teams on a level playing field. This year all placing teams will be subject to a lie detector test. Stating specifics on how and who would be irresponsible, as it could affect its outcome. Thank you for your concern and know that we are doing everything possible to make this a safe and enjoyable event. There is a reason Sodus maintains a huge field year after year, and we will continue to make sure this stays true.

With not having a observer, will the pros be allowed to call fish? thanks! 

An update to the rules will be going out early next week but yes culling will be allowed to help keep everyone on the same playing field. The pro rules with mirror much of what has been put into place in the amateur division the past few years. We have found these set of rules to be very successful and minimize any chance for cheating.

After consulting with my team we understand that we are not the tournament directors. However, we would like to see a bit more on paper with the rules specifically who is subject to lie detector. We as in team My Way feel that all teams that place in the money will be required to take a polygraph not just subject too. This will eliminate any favoritism and hold all teams winning any money  accountable to maintain tournament integrity. I have seen first hand that rules have not been followed and nothing done depending who you are. Sodus has always been the best ran tournament out of all the pro/am's and hate to see it fall in on how other tournaments have been ran. Lets keep it fun, competitive, and fair for all. 

After consulting with my team we understand that we are not the tournament directors. However, we would like to see a bit more on paper with the rules specifically who is subject to lie detector. We as in team My Way feel that all teams that place in the money will be required to take a polygraph not just subject too. This will eliminate any favoritism and hold all teams winning any money  accountable to maintain tournament integrity. I have seen first hand that rules have not been followed and nothing done depending who you are. Sodus has always been the best ran tournament out of all the pro/am's and hate to see it fall in on how other tournaments have been ran. Lets keep it fun, competitive, and fair for all. 

Take a look into what a lie detector test costs for EACH individual tested and you will see quickly that it is not affordable. I am with you on lie detectors due to some horrible things I have seen over the years but these tournaments are not big enough to cover the costs.

We can either have observers and increase the risk of corona virus infection from a person who we don’t know on the boat, or for this year it can be eliminated and we make the best of it. They said it’s only for this year because of the circumstances and the observer rule will be reinstated after this blows over. Why beat a dead horse. If it’s that big of a concern, don’t fish it. It’s an awesome tournament and has never had issues.

• Like 1

How about filming each catch via cell phone or GoPro as each fish comes over the gunnels with a tournament pin placed on the fish as it hits the floor. Different colored pins for different teams with pins picked randomly out of a hat on the morning of. 

Important Sodus Updates:

~ Due to the limited amount of derbies and tournaments around the lake this year, we have seen a large increase in new teams coming to this year’s event. Not only does this means a high probability of a 10 year high in participation but that docks are becoming limited as well. Krenzers has a only a few docks left, Arney’s is full, Sodus Bay marina reports that they have a couple openings and Kaitlyn marina states that they have around 10-12 transient docks left. In addition to the above Captain Jack’s and Jamie Abel (sodus point lodge /in front of the former Marlin’s restaurant) normally have a few docks open but we have not been able to confirm how many each has. Please reach out to the tournament committee if you are having issues with finding a dock and we will assist in any way we can.

~ Captain’s meeting: We have yet to decide if we are going to a virtual meeting only or if we will have it in person with just the captain/team representative. This decision will be made by next week.

~Lie detector test (this will be the last communication put out by the tournament committee on this subject). At minimum the top placing teams will automatically be tested along with 3 other random cash placing teams (minimum of 5 teams). We believe in doing everything possible given our situation handed to us, to make sure everyone is on a level playing field. Despite the high cost with moving in this direction, the tournament committee will NOT be using tournament entries to pay for this service. We have always paid out over a 100% of fees collected and this year will be no different. 

~Weigh-in will be held at Krenzer’s this year. We will continue to broadcast the weigh-in live to help reduce the crowds, however we will not limit people from coming to weigh-in at this time. We know many groups charter this event and we believe they deserve to have the full experience.

~Lastly, We look forward to seeing everyone in just a few short weeks. The fishing in the area is really starting to turn on and we look forward to seeing all the great boxes we have come to expect over the past few years. There will be plenty of updates leading up to the event compared to years past, so please check back periodically to stay up to date.

• 3 weeks later...