1990 50hp Evinrude Outboard Prop Shaft Seal

So I have gear case lube leaking out of the prop shaft seal. I took off the prop and got some fishing line out of there which I assume is why the seal is bad.

Was wondering if anybody on here knew a good boat mechanic in the area. I am going to buy a gear case seal kit but would like it professionally taken care of.

However I do all my own work on my vehicles and have all the proper tools to get the job done so if I have to I will give it a go.

Any tips on DIY would be appreciated thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It's pretty easy if you have the right tools. You will need a specialty puller to pull the bearing carrier out. I ended up making one out of a puller I already had.  Danger marine on YouTube has a detailed video on the job for a evinrude 

Edited by shawn393

It's pretty easy if you have the right tools. You will need a specialty puller to pull the bearing carrier out. I ended up making one out of a puller I already had.  Danger marine on YouTube has a detailed video on the job for a evinrude 

Actually I watched that video today. So I’ve got a couple pullers and going to pick up some threaded rod and just do it myself. Pretty self explanatory. Amazing what you can learn on YouTube. Pretty much a certified car mechanic thanks to the internet. On to getting an online degree from MMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United