Canandaigua May 30th Canandaigua Lake Trout Report

Launched at the north end 9AM.  Battery dead.  Go to auto parts store.  Purchase and install new battery.  Bam - $132.  Fished north and south from the Christian Camp to Steamboat Landing and back unitl about 1230.  Boated 20.  Lost another 15.  Method:

1. Tackle:  Ocean Roller Tip Rod, Penn 49L.  Copper wire.  I think it is .22 gauge.  I like the braided wire but you can use solid. 
  2. Lures:  Pflueger 4.  One with fixed hook.  One with dangling hook.  4 1/2 and 5's work fine too.  You can use Pflueger knock-off's and other brands as well.  I used all silver but blue and white combo works very well too.  Some people use mag lip type lures or something called a twin minnow.  The intent is to get a lure that will look like a sawbelly aka alewive.  No backing.  No leader.  Wire straight from the reel to the lure.
  3. Depth:  35 - 40'
  4. Presentation:  Trolling, Jerking and Fluttering Motion bottom bouncing. Hold the line in your hand when you manipulate the lure.
  5. Speed:  1-1.3MPH.  Slower seemed to be better.

If you don't have electronics just go between the points north and south.  Should be the same this weekend.  We saw them on the graph before we got them.  Make sure hooks are sharp and you have to be on the bottom.  To get there I put out almost 75-90% of a full reel on the 49L.  If you don't catch or hook something in 5 minutes, reel up and check your hook for a weed or zebra mussel.  I've been doing this same method for 45 years and it always works.  Your arm should be tired at the end of the day.  Also spotted a ton of (smaller) fish in the 15-20' range but didn't try too hard to get them.  There is a huge depth change in front of the camp so watch for that.  Good spot on the incline.  Good luck. 

Edited by Chicong
  • Like 1

Very nice Chicong! We were out there too from about 6-9:30 basically, tried the west side after 9:30 and it was baron, just one bow. We were a little north of you but fishing was exceptional. We were around 20 rainbows with a few in the 5-6lb range, a few browns and a handful of lakers and a couple pickerel. Those small fish up top were small bows and small lakers, the bigger fish were close to bottom in 50-60fow, smaller lakers were in tighter than that at least for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

14 hours ago, cdgn troller said:

Very nice Chicong! We were out there too from about 6-9:30 basically, tried the west side after 9:30 and it was baron, just one bow. We were a little north of you but fishing was exceptional. We were around 20 rainbows with a few in the 5-6lb range, a few browns and a handful of lakers and a couple pickerel. Those small fish up top were small bows and small lakers, the bigger fish were close to bottom in 50-60fow, smaller lakers were in tighter than that at least for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks.  You're right.  Most of the Lakers we got were not that big.  Maybe biggest was 6 lbs.  It's a little hard for me to get down to 60 with the copper but I have a downrigger.  Thanks for the tip on the bows.  Could you let me know what lures, depth and speed for those?

I guess the DEC stocked 40,000 browns in Canandaigua the other day. Should help in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1