Lake Ontario GPS chart maps

Hello,

Looking to outfit a new boat with a GPS fish finder. I am so confused as to which "built in" maps will actually work on Lake Ontario. I see 4000, 9000 lakes "included" on various models, but none seem to include Lake Ontario. 

I don't really need side scan or many of the bells and whistles. It seems to get a decent unit with a "included" map of Lake Ontario is hard to find.

Which map are you using? Your input would be appreciated!

21 minutes ago, seeyawader said:

Don't make the same mistake I made.I bought a lowrance, installed it on my boat, bought a navionics card only to find out my lowrance will not read the navionics card. 

I have a hook2 7 and it takes the navionics cards just fine. I wonder why the difference?

13 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I purchased a lowrance Hook - 7TS, triple shot. Advertisement said it would take a Navionics card, spent

$ 199 on Navionics card, once I got it installed found out it does not accept any cards. 

I will never purchase another Lowrance product again.

What did you end up doing, were you able to return the card, or switch to a different unit? Thanks for the reply!

23 hours ago, seeyawader said:

Don't make the same mistake I made.I bought a lowrance, installed it on my boat, bought a navionics card only to find out my lowrance will not read the navionics card. 

Impossible unless you bought a Navionics Platinum and you are running a unit that can't read a Platinum. Every units can read a Navionics +

23 hours ago, JSfish said:

Hello,

Looking to outfit a new boat with a GPS fish finder. I am so confused as to which "built in" maps will actually work on Lake Ontario. I see 4000, 9000 lakes "included" on various models, but none seem to include Lake Ontario. 

I don't really need side scan or many of the bells and whistles. It seems to get a decent unit with a "included" map of Lake Ontario is hard to find.

Which map are you using? Your input would be appreciated!

Take a look here and once the blue botton on the bottom left of the page is active click on it and you will get the 1ft contour: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@9&key=ablhGtttyM

Garmin units with the LakeVu built in are really nice.  The echomap plus units are hybrid touch and have programmable soft keys you can make bring up any screen you want automatically.  You do get bells and whistles, but the new Garmin stuff is just really nice.  

It is somewhat confusing understanding which unit has which map for Ontario, which unit is a true gps unit with the ability to use a map card. I see the "x" is listed as a non mapping unit on the Lowrance website but it isn't explained very well.

So the Garmin base lakevu map does cover all of Lake Ontario? 

Walleyeandre-The link to the navionics is exactly what I am after. I have used it on my cell phone and really appreciate the detail.

It looks like for a decent unit with the Navionics map are all running in the 1K range. Even buying a cheaper unit (less features) and adding the map will bring the cost up close to 1K. The boat I just traded in has a Garmin and I have been happy with it, just didn't have mapping capabilities.

Thanks again everyone for all your input, much appreciated!!

I second garmin. I have the garmin echomap 54dv. It has the lakevu maps and gps built in. I've fished in some nasty conditions such as dense fog and have very pleased with the gps and contours markings. The fish finder is awesome too. I've run it 3 seasons so far and bot a single issue. My only issue is that I wish I went for the 7 or 9 inch screen vs the 5 inch. When I've got the gps and the fish finder pulled up side by side it's a little small. 

20200531_080708.jpg

I second garmin. I have the garmin echomap 54dv. It has the lakevu maps and gps built in. I've fished in some nasty conditions such as dense fog and have very pleased with the gps and contours markings. The fish finder is awesome too. I've run it 3 seasons so far and bot a single issue. My only issue is that I wish I went for the 7 or 9 inch screen vs the 5 inch. When I've got the gps and the fish finder pulled up side by side it's a little small. 
20200531_080708.thumb.jpg.4963c0cc8e964683bab0cd97c679c850.jpg

Garmin definitely makes a nice unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Appreciate all the information you guy's have provided, very helpful and now I have a good understanding of the different gps units and the maps they can use.

I met with Rick at Sodus pt last Friday and he was extremely knowledgeable.. Only now after talking with him I think I want autopilot too, LOL!  

12 hours ago, rvan said:

Have garmin units has detailed map of north east lakes. As for autopilot installed this year no regrets able to fish solo and maintain boat control

What style of boat did you install the AP in, inboard, outboard etc. Did you do the work yourself?