New downriggers

Looking to equip new boat with 2 riggers. Was looking at Cannon mag 10 and read a lot of comments about circuit board issues and water issues. So I thought I would switch to the manual riggers and not have to worry about electrical issues but reviews on the cannon manuals are not good either. Are cannon riggers really that bad? Are Scotty’s better? Old boat had manual invaders and they worked fine so anything is an upgrade for me. I know electric is faster but I don’t mind manual. Riggers will be taken off each day and stored in garage. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have ran cannon mag10's for almost 20 yrs and ran big john before that.   I have only had one issue with cannon and it was a motor that went bad.  I too am going to upgrade but i am going to go with the cannons without the keypads.  i know the keypads go bad.  They make a series that just has the up/down switch which lessens the amount to go bad.  Ultimately it comes down to what you like.  I think most riggers are good and there are people who will tell you stories about them all.   this is my experience using cannons on a charter boat and on a non charter boat for 20 yrs.

Captain Todd

Seadawg charters.

I have a pair of Cannon Mag 10s that are nearly 20 years old. One still going strong, the other failed just last weekend. I ordered a new Mag 10 STX and will be installing it today. The nice thing is it looks like the hole pattern for the swivel base is a perfect match from old to new. Definitely some improvements from old to new too. The old one that failed had a cracked spool that caused the spool to turn out of center as the DR operated. That made the motor gear and spool drive gear to have uneven contact and about 1/3 of the teeth on the spool drive gear wore down. Of course it gave up the ghost in the down position. It's fun pulling 90' of cable out of the lake. Thank God I had heavy leather work gloves on the boat. If I have any significant pros or cons soon I'll update this post.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a pair of Cannon Mag 10s that are nearly 20 years old. One still going strong, the other failed just last weekend. I ordered a new Mag 10 STX and will be installing it today. The nice thing is it looks like the hole pattern for the swivel base is a perfect match from old to new. Definitely some improvements from old to new too. The old one that failed had a cracked spool that caused the spool to turn out of center as the DR operated. That made the motor gear and spool drive gear to have uneven contact and about 1/3 of the teeth on the spool drive gear wore down. Of course it gave up the ghost in the down position. It's fun pulling 90' of cable out of the lake. Thank God I had heavy leather work gloves on the boat. If I have any significant pros or cons soon I'll update this post.

Thanks, let me know how you like the new ones. I get the boat next week, so I have some to to rig it up.

Thanks, let me know how you like the new ones. I get the boat next week, so I have some to to rig it up.

Magnum Metalz will be my next riggers if I buy new . 

Saw them at the show and the guy who makes them . 

Well built ,compact, all business riggers with a minimum of plastic . And will handle a 20# ball ..

And the price ain't bad . 

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck whatever you decide. I currently have four Scotty electrics on my boat and been running two of them since 1994. They are virtually bullet proof and personally do not have any reason to buy anything else. The only downside is they are physically larger than the other brands with the horizontal spool.. For ease of use and reliability I have nothing but good things to say about them. Reasonably priced as well.