cranberry

FREEMAN77

went on fri and sat fri was soooo windy but still got a few keppers and some small ones on the east side sat went back out much nicer got about 12 keeprs and some small one. most the keepers came on tip downs with niagras I also got a cat fish abot 28" and a walleye about 12" we were only out for a few hours in the am. :yes:

Tried Watoma shoals once with my son....ran all the way down from the Oak, mid afternoon to about dark tried driftin jigs and trolling harnesses but nada...except a goby or two when the bait hit the bottom for more than a nano second :no: ..water was real clear...see bottom from thirty feet, thought that was bad for eyes to be there, but who knew?

Maybe at nite like you said and be vewy vewy quiet. They gotta be out there some where, I've seen the spawners in the cranberry and they are HUGE!...some brave idiots even catch and not release those hogs, every season when the perch come in after ice out :@ ...I know there are some stagging around the breakwall at the Oak and some guys hit em after dark there so maybe nite is the ticket at watoma.

Mark

"Maybe at nite like you said and be vewy vewy quiet. They gotta be out there some where"

I spent many an evening and into the night long lining out there last summer and fall and could not track them down. I know a guy who lives out there and fished for many many years who has never caught one.

Another gentlemen told me he has caught them trolling early in the spring for Browns.

I will find the big eyes this year.

RED

Took the one in the video trolling in front of Russell Station a couple springs ago. Very often catch them around the Charlotte and Summerville piers. Bottom picture is one we caught suspended off the Genesee river in 60 fow. He hit a reef runner off our boards in september while targeting kings. Weighed 9.7 lbs.

th_100_0975.jpg

eye3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was out to Cranberry today, and there probably 50 guys. They were catching perch, some nice 12 inchers. Mostly using minnows with a sinker on the end of the line and one or two hooks, no bobbers were being used. I am going out Sat. around 6 AM. Parking lot was over flowing today. I will post again tomorrow.

Doug

This was by far the coldest I have ever been fishing. We got to Cranberry about 6:15 am, parking lot was not crowded. There was thin for about 15 to yds out. There were a few guys there, but I saw no one catching a single fish. guys were throwing rocks to break up the ice and a duck was swimming under the ice chasing the perch. The dove under and took my minnow, I thought I had a big one, instead I landed the duck. A guy next to me took the hook out of its mouth and off we went. I guess that was a true fowl hook. LOL May try tomorrow.

Doug

Caught 5 today in 3 hours at long pond this morning. Everyone around me had 0-2 fish each. It pretty much sucked out loud. The water was fairly murky, but I've caught plenty of perch in the past w/ dirtier water. I just don't think they are in there heavy yet. It should get better in the coming days.

Ditto. I was out of the canoe Tuesday evening on Long Pond and had a brief run of nice fish where I kept maybe ten. It definately seemed like a school moved through, but I couldn't find them again. Very little action on the shore. When the fish were there, they hit well, so I don't think the murky water's the problem. In the past, first ice-out action was the best. Of course, I've also noticed that when people stop talking about how slow it is and the posts dry up, that's when you need to get down there :D

Hopefully back out on Friday.

Gator

I haven't reported because I'm lurking to see if anybody has posted a fishy report....no seriously I been too busy tryin to get my big O boat ready and haven't even set up my perch rigs yet, and now I gotta go back ta my cell and do community service (drive the 18 wheeler) for the next three weeks ;( Don't catch all the perch while I'm away, I'll be checkin on ya :lol: maybe April 8th will be good (home again). remember to carry out what ya brought in (trash) and even if ya see someone not so civilized, pick up their mess too and don't leave discarded fish carcasses stink up the neighbors. It makes for a better environment and respect for the neighbors. They like to call the cops and DEC to harass you if they feel violated by slobs :@ Hope you all have a great time there!

Mark

I did the best last night that I have done all year. We caught 20 plus and kept about 12.

I fished from 3 to 6:30 PM. After the wind died down the bite pickup. Some fish had minnows in them, thats what we caught all our fish on. fished on the bottom with no bobber. I personally like the slip sinkers about 5/16 oz, it allows the minnows to swim, I hook them in the mouth. Caught a 20in. Walleye, to bad the season is closed. Hope to get out Fri afternoon and Sun afternoon. Doug