Lake ontario Walleyes ?

I have always targeted Trout and salmon however I have gotten the but to try and target walleyes in Ontario.

I am looking at the eastern end from Sodus bay east and want to know if anyone has had any success ?

I know that on the Canadian side that in the winter they find some fish in the bays?  [ Big walleyes ]

A few folks have caught the stray Walleye when targeting salmon but has anyone actually tried to target the Walleyes?

Dr W

Many moons ago. 2 guys come into the dock early in the morning at the sodus public launch when we are headed out to salmon fish. They have there limit of walleye in the boat. My brother asked, "where did you catch them"
Reply !! "In the water"
I wish you the best of luck !

Sent from my moto g(6) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’m interested in the same. Walleyes like weeds and cover. Not much of that around Sodus on the main lake. Weed edges, a little more stain on the water. Try trolling anything you can find. Walleyes aren’t too tough to figure out if you cover a lot of water. Spinner rigs are the easiest to locate hungry fish imo. 12-20fow mid way up in the water column for active feeders. 

Edited by Mrm31790

Just a couple weeks ago when coming back from a night of brown trout fishing, there was two guys launching around 8:30pm with what looked exactly like a purposefully built walleye rig. 16-18’ side console Lund type, Honda 50 with trolling plate, lots of lights. I shoulda asked them lol I think most go up north to get walleye though

For someone that has just gotten the walleye bug, I’d suggest heading for water with a good population of walleye.  Right now the 3 “Crown Jewels” of New York walleye fishing per DEC - Lake Erie, Oneida Lake, and Chautauqua - all have great numbers of walleyes.  Oneida isn’t that far from Sodus and much more likely to have success with a variety of tactics.  I used to fish eyes on Lake Ontario out of Cape Vincent in September and it was a big fish game not a numbers game.  I was lucky to know a local so we access to some info, but even that was limited.  Trolling the breaks on the shoals would get some fish.  For somebody starting out, water with a better population of walleye would show more success sooner.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info..  I have been going to Eire [fishing out of Eire Pa] and taking a limit most trips 

Not a lot of fun to catch  but great to eat.  Average about 4 pounds average. 

Downriggers and dipsys  40 to 60 FOW  Speed is  funny at times  some times slow 1.5mph and other times 2.3 ?

Eire is a strange lake with waves coming in 3 directions quite often. 

John Lampe marine is a friendly place to launch too. 

Dr W 

• Like 1

Chautauqua is a nice change of pace from the big water tactics used on Lake Erie.  The 17 to 20 inch eyes on 5 colors of lead are way more fun when you use light spinning gear with 8 or 10lb test and you feel the bite.  Lots of rod in hand tactics are working now-pulling harness’s along weedline, jigging and tossing plastics.  Great place for kids as there are plenty of panfish mixed in with the eyes.