Bow gear thread

Gill-T

Awesome I love my HTX wish I had some more speed tho but it does the job and is forgiving for my poor form and deer fever lol

Matthews htx no cam 60# 28dl shooting carbon express piledrivers with 100 grain fixed blade 1.25 dia cut broadhead...I always keep a junk arrow or 2 and a blunt tip for the bordem lol1476531912513.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So in setting up my bow I realized my old style of pins and the hindsight system that had served me so well does not work on the new riser designs. I picked up a HHA Optimizer single pin sight and got her dialed in. So cool the algorithm system that has you shoot at 20 yards then 60 yards to figure out the coinciding sticker to place on sight which then allows you to shoot out to 80 yards by dialing in the site to the known target distance was an epiphany! I have never shot past 40 yards and with the new technology, I was placing 5” groups at 60 yards with junk waste arrows and a crosswind. My eyes have been opened. 

So in setting up my bow I realized my old style of pins and the hindsight system that had served me so well does not work on the new riser designs. I picked up a HHA Optimizer single pin sight and got her dialed in. So cool the algorithm system that has you shoot at 20 yards then 60 yards to figure out the coinciding sticker to place on sight which then allows you to shoot out to 80 yards by dialing in the site to the known target distance was an epiphany! I have never shot past 40 yards and with the new technology, I was placing 5” groups at 60 yards with junk waste arrows and a crosswind. My eyes have been opened. 
And it's funny bc some people will argue that xbow is so much easier to use....they are not that different anymore with the new technology.

But that's a debate that will never end lol

Neighbor shoots the maxim reds seems to have good luck with them. I shoot the pile drivers we both have HTX

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Next up are arrows. So what do Matthews bows like to eat?  I am a fan of Easton Axis 5mm arrows. 

I shoot the gold tip kinetic pierce platinum arrows out of my triax. They are a bit pricey but hit like a freight train. Topped with a rage trypan. Rages get a lot of crap but I killed 4 deer with them last year and watched them all fall over. Even quartering shots were no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 6/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, stoneam2006 said:

Awesome I love my HTX wish I had some more speed tho but it does the job and is forgiving for my poor form and deer fever lol

Matthews htx no cam 60# 28dl shooting carbon express piledrivers with 100 grain fixed blade 1.25 dia cut broadhead...I always keep a junk arrow or 2 and a blunt tip for the bordem lol1476531912513.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I consider the no-cam. The only thing I don’t like about my VXR is more of an indictment on large cam bows. The big wheels make pulling the bow back like starting a ten speed on a hill. The initial draw is harder until you get to the letoff phase - which is a dream to hold. My shoulder is not liking the new technology. This weekend I did a bunch of shooting off my buddy’s deck. I found the reduced effect of gravity on the downward angled shots takes 5 yards off the optimizer sight algorithm so at 30 yards, I would place the sight on 25 yards and my arrows end up 4” low which is what I want for whitetails. Crazy to be shooting at 60 yards. I feel I would need the smaller pin to shoot beyond that distance for western hunts. No way shooting at a twitchy whitetail at 60 yards is ethical IMO. The deer would have to have its head down and feeding relaxed to even consider. 

• Like 1

At the beginning of the "Pandemic" I told myself that I would pick up a bow again this year and get back into archery. Well I did and tried quite a few bows out and ended up picking up a Prime Logic. I am 

shooting the HunterXT 300 spine arrows with the 50gn aluminium insert in them and plan to use the G5 Stryker V2 broadheads this fall. 

On 6/16/2020 at 10:12 PM, schreckstoff said:

RE: arrows, I have become a student of the Ranch Fairy (YouTube if u haven’t seen him), heavy stiff arrows, high FOC, no “Twizzlers” no Flappers anymore for me. 

I agree.. I care more about the hole on the opposite side of my target than any speed that I may get from a lighter arrow or higher poundage.

I did find that there is a performance drop off in accuracy once I get to 500 gn on the current bow set up. This I believe is related to taking the pre-flected arrows and builds rather than a shaft tune. If I was to up the poundage to 65+ I think that 500+ grains would not be an issue, but I'll stick to my 480-485 window right now and up it if I go for pigs or bear/elk

Edited by Nittanyfisher

My love affair with the new Matthews continues. After practicing out to 60 yards a couple weekends ago, I had Jeff at Niagara Outdoors cut me some 5 mm Easton Axis 340’s. Moving into 20 yards after shooting at 60 makes it seem oh so easy. First three in the same hole. Now I need to find a target that can stop my arrows!

3F4E884C-6F34-4E1F-80C2-810E0B7E31BD.jpeg

• Like 1

The Large Block Targets are more than adequate. I have one of those and one of the cheap Black Hole targets that I am almost getting up to the fletchings on after using that for a vast majority of my practicing. I don't think that I will buy another one unless it is for the kids to use...They seem to break down quicker than the original block one. Granted I was also shooting 70-75 arrows per day for 60 days straight just to work on form so that probably has something to do with it, but there were no broadheads used on it yet and I think that I am going to save the broadheads for a new block or dedicated target.

• 1 month later...

The good news is there is food o'plenty this year in the woods..  I went for a scouting walk on some state land Sunday and found hickory nuts dropping, acorns in tree tops, a good apple crop and the corn has recovered from the lack of rain in June.  Lots of good sized tracks from hold-over deer due to mild winter.  It should be a good year.

• 3 weeks later...