Loose steering

Hey guys. I have a 20 foot aluminum with an older Mercury 2 stroke outboard . I find the steering is very loose but not sure if this is typical. the very loose steering can allow the boat to get out of control fast if your hand slips on the wheel for even a half second. Is there a way to tighten it up.?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Where do you see the play occurring, at the linkage to the motor or at the wheel? Assuming it’s cable steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
At the wheel. But just to be clear I am not saying that their is play I'm just saying it turns quite freely. Much different than the last boat I had which was nearly difficult to steer. Yes it's cable steer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ahh gotcha. So it’s more of the fact that it’s a loose feeling and you probably feel the torque of the motor as well when you take off I’m assuming. You might find a tightening bolt on the motor that might stiffen up the collar on the transom a bit. Just to give it some resistance so it doesn’t steer off course when you let go of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If the engine is pulling to one direction while on plane then probably your trim tab needs to be adjusted to counter the torque of the prop. The sacrificial trim tab zinc can be turned to accomplished that.