Small boat in deep water

I'm in the same (small) boat as you in my 16' Tracker. I've been out a few times this year  5 or 6, and been out to 200 FOW no problems on calm days. Now, the next several days looks like too much for me 1-3,4' according to windfinder, so I'll probably go chase musky instead. That's whats nice about the small boats!

• Like 1

I started fishing lake Ontario in 1989 with a friend in this rig:

PICT0002vv.thumb.jpg.28c564c7165ffdd4d40a89d4bf9a6239.jpg

For the last 24 seasons, I've been running out of a 17ft. Starcraft , 90hp. Merc.

IMG_0701.thumb.JPG.b47d7cd786c90f1422c277aac8ccc03e.JPG

I have learned over the years there is plenty of good fishing without going half way to Canada. I fish from Rochester to Sandy Creek in Hamlin, and almost never have to go deeper than 200ft. to find good fishing. 

When the big boats head offshore in the summer, it leaves the inside waters for us smaller rigs. Brown trout are usually shallower, find water temps in the mid 50's near bottom, and a few kings are always mixed in. Lake trout are on the bottom around 100 ft. if you want to fish for them.

Watch the wind direction daily. The wind pushes the water temp.and bait pods around, and the fish move in and out in a heartbeat. Kings  feeding out in 500 at sunup can be in 80 feet at sunset if the winds and currents change.  Bottom line, do what's comfortable for YOU. Stay safe.  I have 2 batteries, 2 bilge pumps, fixed mount DSC and hand held VHF radios, and always wear an inflatable PFD.  Like others have said, when the lake acts up, we get to change gears and fish for bass, pike, and panfish.  

Edited by J.D.

I think you need to take a good look at chinook 35 post it speak,s for itself.
Well you know, we're all just a bunch of idiots, grateful for what we have, and should know better than to think we can play in the deep end of the pool. I've had my 6pk for 8 yrs now, My pop sailed a 110 scooner from Boothbay to Galveston. They tied me to the main mast. I run a 16 with a 25 tiller, and kill it. Just sayin.
Nice rigs folks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Low Baller said:

Well you know, we're all just a bunch of idiots, grateful for what we have, and should know better than to think we can play in the deep end of the pool. I've had my 6pk for 8 yrs now, My pop sailed a 110 scooner from Boothbay to Galveston. They tied me to the main mast. I run a 16 with a 25 tiller, and kill it. Just sayin.
Nice rigs folks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by chinook35
mistake

I am amazed by this post from low balls  my intention and Signalman's was not to call anyone an idiot and not capable of playing in the deep end . My post was directed at the newbies ,who, by their own admission have never fished Lake O . I've fished this lake since the mid 70's   I used to troll from Wright's landing to Nine Mile . in a 14 ft Mirrocraft with a 7.5 honda on the stern  we could fish through the warm water discharge from NM1 and Fitzpatrick   I had a friend get caught in a storm in a 16 ft boat  He survived the capsize ,lost all his gear and the found his lab on shore the next day  I'm not new to Lake O  If you are truly a charter captain , then you of all people should be totally in agreement ,that warning people of the lakes potential is a duty  There is way too much name calling on this site  I'm PO'd to the max 

Is it okay to take a small boat (16 ft) into deep water if the wind and weather forecast are calm for the entire day?

How many miles out of Rochester in general does one have to travel out to find summer (late June into July) kings?

OP wasn’t talking about the shipping lanes, just King water. Also mentioned on a flat day.
100 ish feet of water is no worries on a calm day.
A few here are either a little dramatic or have watched Perfect Storm too many times.
Pick your days and pay attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I echo signalmans thoughts. There’s a ton of us 18-19ft aluminum that make it out when it’s safe to do so based on weather, having the safety gear / electronics etc.

A 16ft is a whole other league that just puts more risk into it. Sure you can do it, but if your looking for someone to say go ahead so you can feel good about doing it........

I’ve got a 19ft and wouldn’t be offshore with out my kicker, gps, and vhf and all the while my having cell phone. Is it over kill? I look at it’s mandatory. That’s me.

For what’s its worth, that lake can kick up waves in a half hr that can make life miserable let alone if something happens mechanical your worst day.

If your hooked into trolling on lake O, get a deep v 18 or bigger with a kicker that has some basic electronics. If you can’t afford it, jump in on a charter with friends during mid summer if the bites offshore.

Just an opinion and a suggestion to your question. Everyone has one. Be safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Caught a lot of fish solo out deep in a 15.
Any boat without more than neutral buoyancy will sink like a rock. Glad I don’t own any of those. IMG_2875.JPG

• Like 1

OP wasn’t talking about the shipping lanes, just King water. Also mentioned on a flat day.
100 ish feet of water is no worries on a calm day.
A few here are either a little dramatic or have watched Perfect Storm too many times.

That pic I posted isn’t from any movie. It’s a real picture taken at Oswego harbor when small boats get caught out it’s the CG , Sherriff , troopers , volunteer firemen , et al That have to go out and rescue or recover their bodies They have to go out. They don’t have to come back. I have fished in small boats for years. I’m not saying don’t do it. I’m saying be aware of what you’re getting into There have been times I’ve kissed the concrete launch when I got back.

• Like 1

This says it all. The great lakes have claimed a lot of boats and ships of all sizes. Today's world is wonderful in that even offshore we always have access to real time info. Watch the weather and know how long it takes you to get to safe harbor error on the side of caution

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app