Cayuga June 6-7 Weekend Reports

I’ll get the party started. I wish!

Jigged a good bit to start this am, south of Dean’s Cove. Marked tons of bait and super marks in 30-35fow but no takers on the jig. Dropped the hardware and ran a south troll inside 36-43fow pulled 2  chubby lakers 1 on a 20 jet and 1 on Dipsey bout 30feet down, no real program/pattern except boy girl spoon/silver back continues to catch fish on my boat. Pulled 2 more lakers on boy girl dipsey again but now 150 feet back in 70-80fow? No real pattern. 

Hope to see some good reports from Cayuga this weekend. Good luck Social Fishtancing!

FABA04EB-F549-4E79-BE07-CA0D3EC87100.jpeg

I fished long point south last evening. Washed lures. Had a decent fish on in 50 ft. Lost it. I marked many fish in isolated areas. Found bait but again nothing. Most fish were 15 to 45 feet. I did see some 100 plus.  I think that big full moon the last 3 nights may be the culprit. Feeding at night, rest by day. Fish hawk was 44.5 deg. At 58 ft. Tomorrow is another day.

Lake Trout have been out there aggressively feeding for the past month.  The trick is to find them.  It seems that some are moving out a little deeper compared to several weeks ago.  This morning I pulled straight out from Deans at 7.  Was in deeper water to avoid the traffic and started the trolling motor.  Dropped a rigger down 45 and boated the one in the photo before setting another line.  The theme for the next 3 hours was set as green spoons on the rigger kept firing down 45-60 in water 80-140 deep.  Set a dypsey with a flasher fly for the first time since February.  Only one hit but what a hit as the big fish of the morning kept me busy for 10 plus minutes.  Had to pick up to go in a little before 10 but finished up strong as the dypsey's nearly identical twin hit the rigger hard so a great fight to finish up

0606200813.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ifishy said:

The color on that fish is fantastic sometimes not the biggest fish but the prettiest leaves a wonderful memory

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From my perspective the Cayuga lake trout fishery has been very healthy the past couple years.  I have not seen a lamprey mark in quite some time and those stunning colors are quite common on many of the fish, even though the fin clips say they are hatchery raised.  Last DEC report showed higher catch rates too.  Hinted they may stock fewer in the near future to balance the population with the other trout and salmon.

Finished with  GreatLaker today and his dad, had a great day of fun, a little light on fish. Landed a nice brown and laker and found a little laker on when we pulled lines. Fished S of Taughannock, marked fish and bait all over, shallow and deep. No real pattern, goby stick off board took Brown, rigger spoon took laker. Good stories and laughs. Lots of memories being back in Cayuga south end, learned how to troll there ~20yrs ago by reading this site. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Reel Doc said:

Lake Trout have been out there aggressively feeding for the past month.  The trick is to find them.  It seems that some are moving out a little deeper compared to several weeks ago.  This morning I pulled straight out from Deans at 7.  Was in deeper water to avoid the traffic and started the trolling motor.  Dropped a rigger down 45 and boated the one in the photo before setting another line.  The theme for the next 3 hours was set as green spoons on the rigger kept firing down 45-60 in water 80-140 deep.  Set a dypsey with a flasher fly for the first time since February.  Only one hit but what a hit as the big fish of the morning kept me busy for 10 plus minutes.  Had to pick up to go in a little before 10 but finished up strong as the dypsey's nearly identical twin hit the rigger hard so a great fight to finish up

0606200813.jpg

Reel Doc: is this the summer pattern/program I can expect to use going forward? Id much prefer to fish deeper w riggers n divers than get caught in the shallows like I did once yesterday when a fellow troller decided to give me the ol’ shoreline squeeze. Luckily didnt lose any tackle. Appreciate it. 

• Like 1

The very first thing the "Old Salts" on this site, (you know who you are :wink:), taught me about fishing Cayuga is to start with a simple setup of 2 riggers and 2 dypseys and build from there.  For fishing around Dean's you can catch Lake Trout all year long with that grouping then add other setups if you want, especially if targeting other fish.  Now as the days are longer and the water warms many trout follow the bait out beyond 100 feet and in a few weeks when the thermocline sets up the center of the lake (250 fow plus), is the bomb for lake trout.  Typically riggers with spoons and wire divers with flasher/flies down in the 60-100 foot range will be productive.  I was also taught early on to add sliding cheaters to cover a little higher in the column and grab some silver fish.  Also a great first add on if you don't mind reeling is a 600 copper.  Run that anywhere from 300-600 out down the chute and on an off day it may be the only rod that fires.  

Be sure to keep telling us how you make out.  I try to contribute with my limited knowledge and results out on the water, good or bad.  I consider it payback as without all the helpful information from fishermen on this site back when I first started I probably would still be trying to catch my first fish!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reel Doc thanks for the report. 
We launched out of Deans Wednesday and fished a circuit to Thirsty Owl and back starting in 35’out to 70FOW.   The bite was steady from 07:00 till 10:30.  Ran a spoon program, Riggers down 25-30’ and Boards running 3 color LC all produced.  Mostly lakers with 4 LL salmon in the mix. 2.0- 2.3 on the Fish Hawk was the ticket.   Lots of marks and 2 huge bait balls on the screen.   It was a welcome change from the LO skunk we ate the week previous.   LOL!  Cheers! 

820ACD40-C901-41AE-82BA-1EFC37EC2A9A.jpeg

BA1D666B-662B-4C44-AF75-9711346B876B.jpeg

1B23250C-43F5-4F5E-B256-3E0D618702D6.jpeg

• Like 2

Went out of long point again and had no luck went north and south but couldn’t get one in the boat. Had all columns of water covered and a variety of spoons. Varied the speeds as well.  It sure what else I could possible do? Any suggestions?

All I will say is listen to Reel Doc he is the closest to the best way to fish if you want these .....haven’t had a 4 hour stretch on the lake this year without boating numbers in teens limited out in two hours yesterday IMG_0457.JPGIMG_3558.JPGIMG_3554.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Bstone that area is definitely fish rich waters. Something that is not discussed here much but your boat may be hot. Meaning its putting voltage in the water chasing the fish off. To check it lower a downrigger ball in the water then with a voltmeter go from the battery ground to the downrigger cable. If there is voltage ground your riggers and everything metal in the boat.   It really works . I have a fiberglass boat and still run a extra ground wire.

My theory               Bigger fish = longer lateral line = more sensitive to electricity  :wink:

I can not tell you how many times a rod has gone off when I keyed the radio. Especially on Lake O.

Good luck.

You could probably find a witch doctor in Ithaca like the guy does on river monsters.

They have everything else down there.

• Thanks 1

It’s true that’s why they sell the Scotty black box ion control, cannon has one ,it works, controls stray voltage!!! There some good right ups on this problem.

I don’t know what to think about the electrical field component ... that said my mag 10s have “ion control” my previous riggers didn’t. I’m dubious that much is transferring down a cable 60-150 feet through water but hey I might be ignorant of the facts ...

I don’t know what to think about the electrical field component ... that said my mag 10s have “ion control” my previous riggers didn’t. I’m dubious that much is transferring down a cable 60-150 feet through water but hey I might be ignorant of the facts ...

I’ve only fished Cayuga a couple of years now and I’ve learned so much from you guys next week my son is taking me for two daysFor my birthday I picked Cayuga over Ontario thanks for all the help over the past couple years. Tim

• Like 1