Jefferson County trip last week

For the past 30 years I've been going on a trip to God's Country with my buddies. Same 5 guys +/- a few others, but in the last 10 years Its been the same 5 guys.targets are Northerns, Perch, panfish, and Walleyes.

This year the weather was perfect! Lots of big perch... Incidental Bass hook ups, a few Northerns and finally a walleye.

Water temps were a bit cooler so the weed beds we normally cast to were not grown up. The Northerns we did get were good ones with the biggest being a conservative 42inches and 17lbs ( Released). Fish hit a casted Gold Sammy Pac spoon... Great essox bait.

I got a solid tip from another Captain regarding Walleyes. Trolled exactly where he told me with the exact baits and application... Grabbed a good one right away and then got blown off with heavy west winds and storms.

Had an interesting encounter with a lady. We were working down a bay casting cubby jigs with floats for pan fish... Lady came out and asked what we were fishing for. I replied pan fish.. Perch, Rock bass, Sunnies... She started calling us poachers and was going to call the DEC because Bass were illegal. I tore into her that we were using ultra light gear with panfish bait. That we were not targeting Smallmouth Bass or Largemouth. Funny how stupid people can be... We ran into several other cottage owners who were very nice and even went as far to say they were happy to see people out fishing and enjoying the lake. SMH...

Overall the best trip up north in 30 years... If more people fished and turned off the TV, this world would be a better place.... Tight lines!89434.jpeg0606201232a.jpeg89787.jpeg0606201154.jpeg89728.jpeg

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

New York regulation on Lake Erie is artificial bait, one bass over 20 inches and most bass are released anyway. Ontario bass fishermen bought a lot of non resident licenses except now they are outlawed with the virus rules. Ontario has kept their old rules in effect yet.

Not sure I understand your post Jimski2

New York regulation on Lake Erie is artificial bait, one bass over 20 inches and most bass are released anyway. Ontario bass fishermen bought a lot of non resident licenses except now they are outlawed with the virus rules. Ontario has kept their old rules in effect yet.

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good Post! A group of us fish the same way up there. We target Pike, Pickerel, Walleye, Rock Bass, Perch, Trout, etc. Biggest Pike was 39", Pickerel 28", Walleye 31". Of course we pick up a bass now and then because they're in the same area. Everything goes back anyway. That lady should just mind her own business. 

Bass fishing is the number one fishing activity in the USA. New York State fishing license sales are dependent on the revenues brought in here by tourists who come to enjoy Lake Erie Bass fishing. No stocking costs for bass are needed. The bass biomass is great here and the state record bass was caught on Lake Erie. The forage base of gobies helps keep a good stewardship of the lakes health.