Rochester(ish) launch options

Being new to fishing the big lake I’m wondering the pros and cons of the different places to launch in the greater Rochester area? I live in Canandaigua so Irondequoit bay is probably the closest. But Genesee River, braddocks, and Sodus are all about an hour or less. 

31 minutes ago, Dan P said:

Fishable water closer meaning it gets deep faster? 

Way faster.  The Rochester basin from Braddocks to Ibay is a big bowl with a slower drop.  Once you get West of Braddocks and East of Shipbuilders Point deeper water is closer to shore.  

Being new to fishing the big lake I’m wondering the pros and cons of the different places to launch in the greater Rochester area? I live in Canandaigua so Irondequoit bay is probably the closest. But Genesee River, braddocks, and Sodus are all about an hour or less. 
Try bear creek in Ontario; one of my hot spots

Sent from my SM-G930T using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

hughs mariana is right at the end of 21 

bear creek you have to stop at the community center to get a launch pass its on knickerbocker road in the park 

fishing can be a little more hit or miss out that way especially for kings in early summer but browns and lakers are around most of the year hughs is also close to deep water and has lots of good current.  Bear creek gets a bit of surge if there is any swell from the north.  there is really no sea wall or pier for any sort of protection to the ramp.

If you want more fish, Rochester West is a better option until later in the season.  The Sandy / Braddocks stretch IMO is one of the best stretches on the entire lake for Browns and Lakers.  We have great king fishing from May on, Some of the best brown and lake trout fishing on the entire lake and a good offshore steelhead bite.  Look back at the LOC summer derby boards and you will see!   Sandy is a small port with very few boats but there are fish weighed on from Sandy in great numbers every year. Sandy also offers a free boat launch right off the Parkway 100 yds from the lake.  

• Thanks 1

If one was traveling quite a ways to sandy, when would you say the best timing for kings would be? I usually fish mexico bay when they stage bit want to try to farther west this summer. I as well have a small 16ft boat, so would have to pick the day

All of July up until the first or second week of August.  Sandy is the perfect place for your boat.  Before you come out, message me and I will give you up to date reports for the Sandy area that I have.   We have the Sandy Creek Shootout the last weekend of July for a reason.  That weekend is usually the peak of the salmon fishing and its on fire!  

Given my druthers , I think the OAK is the best port on the south store from now till mid Aug . And I have a cottage at Sandy . It's good , don't get me wrong but it can be hit and miss for kings. It's not a great  place  if there is a sustained east  wind . 

The Oak west is great king water as you get the current from the Niagara there if winds are right.  I feel it dissipates around Bald Eagle . 

I have  yearly docked at Johnson's creek ( my favorite ) , Oak , Bald Eagle , Sandy. 

40 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Given my druthers , I think the OAK is the best port on the south store from now till mid Aug . And I have a cottage at Sandy . It's good , don't get me wrong but it can be hit and miss for kings. It's not a great  place  if there is a sustained east  wind . 

The Oak west is great king water as you get the current from the Niagara there if winds are right.  I feel it dissipates around Bald Eagle . 

I have  yearly docked at Johnson's creek ( my favorite ) , Oak , Bald Eagle , Sandy. 

The Oak is great but Sandy has lakers as plan B.  In July, if you cant find kings off Sandy, you need to spend more time offshore just like Oak Orchard.  For a rec guy that just wants to put fish in the boat, an inshore laker fishery is a better plan B than running to the 30 line for kings and steelhead.  

I will take you up on the reports Gambler. Thank you. I fish cayuga mostly and am new at the king game. I will be watching the weather and wave report like a hawk starting in a few weeks. Hopefully she will lay down for a day and let me get up there. 

Brockport is closest lodging 15 miles south . 

No on the water gas  or restaurants , or tackle shops . East fork pro is Marina , no gas  top shelf mechanic .  

Hamlin has restaurants and gas . 

Everywhere on the south shore has,been tough the last few weeks 

Never had a problem catching Lakers at the Oak.  

No on the water gas  or restaurants , or tackle shops . East fork pro is Marina , no gas  top shelf mechanic .  

Thanks , I think I remember Brockport, was up there for a charter yrs back. 6 hr hump, have to do a 3 day in case of bad conditions. So hard to get lucky.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, HB2 said:

There are good numbers of lakers at the Oak until late June.  After that, they disappear for the most part.  Oak Charters run to Devils Nose to Laker fish if they have to later in the summer.  

July /Aug is the time we all wait for all year

I target kings that time of year . 

If I don't catch kings , my plan B is to look for kings . 

Who is targeting Lakers I at that time of year ? 

1 good king is worth 10 Lakers 

I have fished all those ports a lot and the 4 years I was at Johnson's creek were the best . Once in 4 years did I go offshore to find kings other than lake flips  . Lived in 80 to 200 ft .