I know there are some preferences that vary but looking for some opinions here. I’m transitioning form Finger Lakes to more fishing on the big lake. I’ve upgraded my rods, reels and lines but think my lines maybe still undersized. I’ve caught some kings this spring with no issues up to 17 lbs but I’m worried about what could happen if I got something bigger (which I fully plan on, Lol). I also enjoy the brown fishing. Can the same rods/reels/lines be used or is it best to have different

downriggers and planners I have 15 lbs mono with 20 lbs fluoro leader 

dipseys I have 50 lbs braid with 20 lbs fluoro leaders

I have tried to use only one set for Browns and salmon combined. If I had to, I’d do 20lb big game with 30# flouro leader. It is not optimal, though will work.

so I use two sets, same reels, different line.  Brown sets are 12lb big game with 20lb flouro, then (actually just today I swapped) I use 30lb big game and 30# seagar flouro in prep for salmon.

one thing to be aware of is UV degradation. If you store your reels/rods covered or indoors, disregard. But if not, your line will degrade over time. Learned this the hard way. Which is part of the reason why I swap this time of year. Any degradation I experience during brown season, will not be a concern anymore.

also use expensive swivels. Some of my reports last year shows what happens when you buy off brand swivels. 

My biggest fish is 31lb. Setting your drag properly is more important than line weight. 

• Like 1

for kings we use straight 40# big game leader down or up  according to the season   12# floro up until about June then bump up to 15#

we run the heavy line due to the fleas and never have any

• Like 1

Alright, definitely good to know larger line reduces fleas, did not know that. They are already bad in Canandaigua. How long is recommendation for the fluoro leader? Direct tie to mono or swivel? 

15lb is pretty light for my preference but it’s all personal. For me, I go from my mono, to a barrel swivel, then a 10’ flouro lead to a snap, then snap the spoon. Same for flys or meat rigs except the flouro would be attached directly to the flasher since it has its own barrel swivel. 

When you buy flies, do yourself a favor and attach a swivel to the fly, don’t tie it directly to your flasher. You may want to use that flasher with a different fly, and before long your lead between your flasher and fly is 6” lol this way each swap is quick and easy. 

• Like 1

we use the uni to uni knot for leader to mono (leader about 10') then an albright to the snap swivel then to spoon.  I must say that the leader question is a debate in itself  I know many charters who use straight mono and clean up.  But nobody seems to debate the flea issue lol

• Thanks 1

I have tried to use only one set for Browns and salmon combined. If I had to, I’d do 20lb big game with 30# flouro leader. It is not optimal, though will work.

so I use two sets, same reels, different line.  Brown sets are 12lb big game with 20lb flouro, then (actually just today I swapped) I use 30lb big game and 30# seagar flouro in prep for salmon.

one thing to be aware of is UV degradation. If you store your reels/rods covered or indoors, disregard. But if not, your line will degrade over time. Learned this the hard way. Which is part of the reason why I swap this time of year. Any degradation I experience during brown season, will not be a concern anymore.

also use expensive swivels. Some of my reports last year shows what happens when you buy off brand swivels. 

My biggest fish is 31lb. Setting your drag properly is more important than line weight. 

What swivels do you use now?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

14 hours ago, thumbburn said:

Not to be a jerk.... but let’s keep this in the question section....

I think what thumbburn is saying is this is not a fishing report and should be posted under another topic to keep this thread cleared up for fishing reports

30 lb is basically the average line weight used, some guys go 40 lb, but I think that's not necessary.

Some guys will use 15 to 20lb but mostly only on leaders, to give more stealth and spoon action (more flexible line).

Need to back off the drags for that.

• Like 1

In addition to your line I would also invest in some good swivels. Don’t spend the money and time setting up good line and leaders without a very good swivel. As you start using larger spoons, meat rigs, flasher-flies etc.., the line will pull very tight and the cheap swivels won’t spin. They will tighten up and your whole line, from the lure to the rod will twist. This is especially bad for leadcore or copper. 

I use a 42# swivel that is still small enough to go through the eyelets of the rod and into the reel. I would spend some time researching what kind will work best for you. 
Just my 2 cents.
Tight lines! 

Edited by Del Gue
  • Like 1

In addition to your line I would also invest in some good swivels. Don’t spend the money and time setting up good line and leaders without a very good swivel. As you start using larger spoons, meat rigs, flasher-flies etc.., to line will pull very tight and the cheap swivels won’t spin. They will tighten up and your whole line, from the lure to the rod will twist. This is especially bad for leadcore or copper. 
I use a 42# swivel that is still small enough to go through the eyelets of the rod and into the reel. I would spend some time researching what kind will work best for you. 
Just my 2 cents.
Tight lines! 

So true. When I got into this game I was absolutely shocked at the price of good swivels. It’s kind of like the joke that says “why is divorce so expensive? Because it’s worth it!” Well same goes for swivels LOL

• Like 2